Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Manitoba Curling Championship (Viterra)

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-06-19 11:47AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Manitoba Curling Championship (Viterra)

On paper, a walk in the park for the McEwen/Reid combo.

The team has had a rather listless 2018-19 since merging - but they're still good enough to put out any small fires in Virden.

Jason "Gunner" Gunnlaugson should provide real opposition come Sunday but I fully expect McEwen & Gunner to re-surface on Sunday. Both guys fully capable of getting ensnared in bear traps - both should lose at least 1 match going in but if both give their A- to A+ game - that should be the Manitoba final.

NB. Neither Gunner nor McEwen (or anyone else in the Manitoba field) should rattle any of the big guns at the Brier - both will be striving for a tie-breaker and/or playoff spot.

Darkhorses - Braden Calvert, William Lyburn

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 02-06-19 at 11:50AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-06-19 11:54AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Hitting Paint

Rooting for McEwan/Carruthers here but also not overlooking Gunner and Calvert and Lyburn -- never count out the vets.

02-06-19 02:27PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
Rooting for McEwan/Carruthers here but also not overlooking Gunner and Calvert and Lyburn -- never count out the vets.

Mike McEwen will strive hard to capture the Manitoba crests this weekend in Virden.

Pretty sure this is the last time he'll have a chance to play Brier games in his hometown of Brandon. Remember when Mike was a wee lad or just born cuz I was playing with his dad, the late Ed McEwen (quite a character I can assure you)

Don't know if Samagalski is from Brandon, Reid is from Winnipeg but they'd certainly be hometown favorites if they can punch their tickets in Virden.

Maybe not world class anymore like Koe, Bottcher, Goo, etc. but their percentages are usually fairly high - MIke and/or Reid usually blow up late in games when things aren't going their way.

02-06-19 05:21PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards Rooting for McEwan/Carruthers here but also not overlooking Gunner and Calvert and Lyburn -- never count out the vets.

Yes, those are four good teams. I will also be watching team Lott - Colton at 3rd is just off a World Cup Championship Mixed Doubles Win - fit and pumped is a good combination. Interesting to see some cool veterany teams out there. Great for the social side. Didn't know that Dauphin's Ray Baker (another Mixed Doubles player) is in with Kelly Robertson.
I am heart-warmed to see the double knockout draw that the big boys choose, over the two groups play. Out west in AB 'n' SK they have three "events", so an extra chance. This is tough. One loss - one leg left. Gulp. Every game counts. I like Gunner, but think Denni should be at 3rd. I predict a young entry - Lott or Calvert in the final vs McRuthers. Experience will then be the trump card.

Last edited by nelski on 02-06-19 at 05:23PM

02-06-19 08:32PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Any link to streaming?

02-06-19 08:55PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Mike won Super Bowl style 15_1 today

02-06-19 08:59PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Any link to streaming?

not sure if they are streaming it, but I know a local station out of Brandon is there from today till Sunday.

WCG TV

02-06-19 09:02PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

have a great pic of some rocks in play from Virden, but don't know how to get it on here.

Anyone with facebook it is on a page "Q Country 91.5FM"

02-06-19 10:24PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Here's Q Country Radio's Facebook page - with some pics from the Virden Arena, site of the Viterra Mens Curling =

https://www.facebook.com/cklq.qcountry

02-07-19 05:41PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Oops. Team Carruthers is down onto one leg after dropping 9-5 to McNamee - grand veteran from Western Manitoba who has reunited with a seasoned third, in Brendan Taylor after curling apart for more than a decade.
Young bloods - Lott and Calvert are still on the A-side with their qualifying game Friday Morn.
Gunner is also on two legs and will face a team with no CZ history! Who is Team Thompson?

02-07-19 05:57PM
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
Oops. Team Carruthers is down onto one leg after dropping 9-5 to McNamee - grand veteran from Western Manitoba who has reunited with a seasoned third, in Brendan Taylor after curling apart for more than a decade.
Young bloods - Lott and Calvert are still on the A-side with their qualifying game Friday Morn.
Gunner is also on two legs and will face a team with no CZ history! Who is Team Thompson?

List of Teams. Team Thompson out of Morden. Doesn't help me any either.

https://curlmanitoba.org/wp-content...personnel-1.pdf

02-07-19 06:50PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Morden teams have never won a Manitoba championship - just not enough super-curling going on down south.

But they can always put up a helluva fight at Consols or provincials.

Ever since the halcyon days of Hollywood Howie Sager - an Elks champion, who by the way was one of the first folks who welcomed me to the area when I worked their a few decades ago.

02-07-19 06:54PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Mope 'n meek (McEwen & Red) prolly planning their breakup - either shortly after being eliminated @ Viterra or after getting bounced in the play-in (should they qualify, doubtful)

Epping guaranteed 1 spot in the play-in. His challenger will be determined by who loses in Manitoba, Sask'n, Alberta; especially Alberta where Koe would have a leg up if he's dropped.

I still expect to see Carruthers on the weekend; perhaps NOT on Sunday!

02-07-19 09:49PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

The McRuthers group has to come off the B-side and win Manitoba. There's no tomorrow for them.

The Brier play-in will feature John Epping vs. either Kevin Koe or Brendan Bottcher.

If one wins Alberta - the other confronts Epping in the Brier play-in.

02-07-19 10:15PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Double?

I've often wondered why MB has 32 teams, AND a double knockout. The next closest province is 16 teams triple knockout. The rest are 8-10 teams. You would think they would want the best odds of the best team going forward, rather than a couple fluke wins or fluke losses. 32 teams, really? Alberta has 3 times the population but 12 teams. Ontario 10 times the population but 10 teams. What gives? 32?

02-07-19 11:10PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Re: Double?

quote:
I've often wondered why MB has 32 teams, AND a double knockout. Really? Alberta has 3 times the population but 12 teams. Ontario 10 times the population but 10 teams. What gives? 32?

Tradition. There's always a chance to get on a roll to the Brier. Lots of tough teams Depth. Grueling. Gotta be tough. Not for feint of heart. Historical standard.

02-07-19 11:25PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
The McRuthers group has to come off the B-side and win Manitoba. There's no tomorrow for them.

The Brier play-in will feature John Epping vs. either Kevin Koe or Brendan Bottcher.

If one wins Alberta - the other confronts Epping in the Brier play-in.

Inexplicably Bottcher went down at the hands of a fawn tonite. Wonder if anyone screamed "POPCORN?" at Darren Moulding?

Both Koe & Bottcher on one leg - which really means they'll somehow find a way to the Alberta final.

02-07-19 11:31PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: Double?

quote:
I've often wondered why MB has 32 teams, AND a double knockout. The next closest province is 16 teams triple knockout. The rest are 8-10 teams. You would think they would want the best odds of the best team going forward, rather than a couple fluke wins or fluke losses. 32 teams, really? Alberta has 3 times the population but 12 teams. Ontario 10 times the population but 10 teams. What gives? 32?

Very much historical tradition!

Everyone knows there's really only 5 to 8 teams that have any kind of a chance to win MB . . . . and 90% of that is vested in McEwen & Gunner, outside threat w/ Calvert and/or Lyburn.

Other reason for 32 - it makes it a big community event with lots of rooms booked, each team brings their own family & friends, nice banquet, socials, few brewskis, calcutta, etc.

I'm old enough to remember crowds of 5,000 to 7,000 at old Wpg. arena in the 70s, early 80s, 3,000 to 4,500 at old Keystone Centre in 80s but now with advent of TV - crowds are lucky to be 400 to 800 with fairly depleted crowds under 1000 for semi-final, finals.

Gotta sell a ton of brews, lots of rinkside advertising, gate admissions (most sold in large blocks to the local banks, credit unions, implement & car dealers where for every 10 tickets purchased maybe 1 mope actually shows up.

02-08-19 11:19AM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Grand playdown for the first four qualifying spots on the ice now. all close games. Lott Calvert McNamee and okay.. we'll say Gunner - Then those on one leg will battle for the other four. https://curlmanitoba.org/about-company/scoreboard/#!/competitions/4440

EDIT: Yesss. Lott steals the W. Calvert gets a W. McNamee is on one leg down to Chambers, and Gunner quallifies.

Last edited by nelski on 02-08-19 at 12:08PM

02-08-19 04:54PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

32 teams is great

makes for awesome event

1000s try to make the provincials here - huge carrot to all competitive curlers

2000 curlers in mca dream of qualifying - may not win the final but they all love the competition

another 1000 in playdowns

i was in 4x - one skip won the brier twice years later - the greatest experience available to competitive curlers in manitoba

dont tinker with perfection

except drop the third round - 32 ok , but now that theres 8 then just play 3 games - quarters/semis/final and be done

Last edited by fresca on 02-09-19 at 05:53AM

02-08-19 07:43PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

So Team Carruthers made the play off round and they start in exactly the same place as the other 7 teams so they can still lose 1 more game and not be eliminated. I'm not sure when Manitoba modified the format to this system but I like it a lot better than the straight 32 team double knockout format.

02-08-19 07:46PM
trebendan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trebendan Find more posts by trebendan Add trebendan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trebendan
Knee-Slider

... and Steen Sigurdson makes it to the playoffs, knocking off Grassie and Dennis Bohn on the way in. Good for him!

02-08-19 07:59PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Streaming

Is there streaming and if not, why not. Same with Alberta!

If you have link, please post.

02-08-19 08:30PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

15 games in mca to qualify

15 games in virden to rep mb

14 games in brandon to win brier

all other world reps are appointed

what could possibly go wrong

02-08-19 08:50PM
CURLER1
Drawmaster

One problem with Manitoba's draw and I have seen it happen year after year.....Carruthers is playing McNamee again...who already beat him, but drops to the same spot.

So, 32 teams and in 5 games, Carruthers plays McNamee twice.