Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 11 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-16-18 10:00AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan
First off, Homan is not classless for removing the burnt Danish stone. Let's make that crystal effing clear.

What is classless is every single poster who has stated such. All you are doing is showing your ignorance of the rules of the sport.

DENMARK broke the rules, not Homan. As such it is Homans choice of the options available to her. Her choice cannot, therefore, be considered sportsmanlike or not.

Poor sportsmanship is on the Danes for REACTING to Homans choice. It is childish and petty on their part to show disbelief or any emotion when they violated a rule and aren't happy with a potential penalty that is clearly outlined in the rules.

Granted, it's a little like a hockey player being allowed to decide how long his opponent sits in the box for a hooking call, but if they don't like the way a rule is written or enforced then take it up with the governing body.

So get off your soapboxes about this. Homan is struggling against teams that have stepped up their game. They don't need a bunch of ignorant armchair aholes judging them for following the rules properly.

I disagree. It was pretty classless. The stone was almost stopped, and did not dramatically get impacted. It wasn't like a takeout where something really got moved and you had no idea what would have happened. I curl quite a bit (not an armchair curler) and have been in the situation many times where the other team burned a stone, it did not dramatically impact the final location of the stone and it did not benefit me; I did not remove it; I would move it an inch or something.

The rule seems to have flexibility so that when it's obvious what would have happened, you can move it to where you think it would have gone, or if you have no idea what would have happened, you can remove it. I don't even think I saw her move the red stone that was tapped (an inch or so) back at all. Her removing it was not in the spirit of the rule, or the game.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-16-18 10:04AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan Homan is struggling against teams that have stepped up their game. [/B]
Homan is struggling against herself.

02-16-18 10:30AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

I'm reading a lot of comments about this burned stone and I just want to say this. Pretend you're Homan in that game and saying this to yourself. "This is a rule and we're at the Olympics. Better take it off. How man people will be offended if I remove the rock from play, and how many people will say, that rock was burned, remove it." Take about a rock and a hard place. No pun intended.

02-16-18 10:32AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
First off, Homan is not classless for removing the burnt Danish stone. Let's make that crystal effing clear.

What is classless is every single poster who has stated such. All you are doing is showing your ignorance of the rules of the sport.

DENMARK broke the rules, not Homan. As such it is Homans choice of the options available to her. Her choice cannot, therefore, be considered sportsmanlike or not.

Poor sportsmanship is on the Danes for REACTING to Homans choice. It is childish and petty on their part to show disbelief or any emotion when they violated a rule and aren't happy with a potential penalty that is clearly outlined in the rules.

Granted, it's a little like a hockey player being allowed to decide how long his opponent sits in the box for a hooking call, but if they don't like the way a rule is written or enforced then take it up with the governing body.

So get off your soapboxes about this. Homan is struggling against teams that have stepped up their game. They don't need a bunch of ignorant armchair aholes judging them for following the rules properly.

GERRY: We really do need a like button.

02-16-18 10:33AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by albetts
I'm reading a lot of comments about this burned stone and I just want to say this. Pretend you're Homan in that game and saying this to yourself. "This is a rule and we're at the Olympics. Better take it off. How man people will be offended if I remove the rock from play, and how many people will say, that rock was burned, remove it." Take about a rock and a hard place. No pun intended.

Had she chosen not to remove it and just leave it as is, or given it a little adjustment wack with her broom to the left or right, nobody would be discussing it. Because that's what virtually any other curler would have done in that situation.

02-16-18 10:48AM
NSCoach is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NSCoach Click here to Send NSCoach a Private Message Find more posts by NSCoach Add NSCoach to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NSCoach
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
luck in curling - epitomized by korea trying to blank 8 - essentialy makes the shot but tics canada in for the steal

not a smile from koe , brent or ben .. just a look of relief

Koe played to roll next to that rock for a reason and it paid off

02-16-18 10:53AM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IMWright

I disagree. It was pretty classless. The stone was almost stopped, and did not dramatically get impacted. It wasn't like a takeout where something really got moved and you had no idea what would have happened. I curl quite a bit (not an armchair curler) and have been in the situation many times where the other team burned a stone, it did not dramatically impact the final location of the stone and it did not benefit me; I did not remove it; I would move it an inch or something.

The rule seems to have flexibility so that when it's obvious what would have happened, you can move it to where you think it would have gone, or if you have no idea what would have happened, you can remove it. I don't even think I saw her move the red stone that was tapped (an inch or so) back at all. Her removing it was not in the spirit of the rule, or the game.

If you really have curled quite a bit then you don't pout when you break a rule and the other team exercises their rights under the rule. You made the mistake, not them.

You and Ajay? Armchair aholes as mentioned earlier.

02-16-18 10:56AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
F
. All you are doing is showing your ignorance of the rules of the sport.

Thumbs down.
We all know the rules of the game but most of us also know the history, etiquette and spirit of the game, Even the announcers admitted that this is never done on the WCT but if you want to win that Olympic medal, then I guess it is okay to be an A$$.

02-16-18 10:58AM
NSCoach is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NSCoach Click here to Send NSCoach a Private Message Find more posts by NSCoach Add NSCoach to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NSCoach
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

Had she chosen not to remove it and just leave it as is, or given it a little adjustment wack with her broom to the left or right, nobody would be discussing it. Because that's what virtually any other curler would have done in that situation.

The Curse of Labonte and K-Mart pulping the ice with fresh corn were both incidents that developed within the rules of the game but never reflected well upon those involved

02-16-18 10:59AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Also during the 5th end break, Emma's comment about coaches and the teams reaction were completely inappropriate,(albeit likely true) Guess she forgot that she was miked,

02-16-18 11:01AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:

If you really have curled quite a bit then you don't pout when you break a rule and the other team exercises their rights under the rule. You made the mistake, not them.

You and Ajay? Armchair aholes as mentioned earlier.

Me, pouting? Nope. Doesn't impact me. I'm just making an observation and thinking in the honor, etiquette, and spirit of the sport, what was done does not meet that standard. Within her right and rules to do it? Yes. Being in the honor, etiquette, and spirit of the sport, nope.

And calling someone an ahole makes you even more classless. Better that than a troll, I suppose.

02-16-18 11:02AM
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

You and I would do that along with a lot of other Canadians. I've never been to the Olympics so I won't and can't honestly say that this was a wrong move. But thanks for your comment.

02-16-18 11:04AM
albetts
Super Rockchucker

I just read this blog by Ben Hebert. A whole lot of new respect for this man. However, I can't imagine his response had it happened to Team Koe. lol

http://www.curling.ca/blog/2018/02/...log-ben-hebert/

02-16-18 11:09AM
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:

You and I would do that along with a lot of other Canadians. I've never been to the Olympics so I won't and can't honestly say that this was a wrong move. But thanks for your comment.

Exactly. If I was skipping, I'd tap it an inch, even though the stone being there in any way puts me in a worse position; I wouldn't have simply removed it.

Theoretically, it would have been within Homan's right to have said that stone would have doubled both stones out and removed both of them. Within the rules to do that? Yes, In the spirit of the game? No. That's an extreme example that I don't ever think she would do, but it demonstrates that being able to just simply remove it because the rule technically allows it isn't in the spirit of the sport.

02-16-18 11:12AM
Love2Curl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Love2Curl Click here to Send Love2Curl a Private Message Find more posts by Love2Curl Add Love2Curl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Love2Curl
Hitting Paint

I am disappointed that Rachel removed the rock, but I am way disappointed in their putrid performance so far. Maybe the pressure is getting to them.

I just hope they can turn it around

02-16-18 11:43AM
Foxworthy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Foxworthy Find more posts by Foxworthy Add Foxworthy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Foxworthy
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Also during the 5th end break, Emma's comment about coaches and the teams reaction were completely inappropriate,(albeit likely true) Guess she forgot that she was miked,

I missed this and can't seem to find it in the recap videos. What did she say?

02-16-18 11:43AM
bpm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bpm Click here to Send bpm a Private Message Find more posts by bpm Add bpm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bpm
Harvey Hacksmasher

The only thing harder than winning Olympic Gold is pleasing the regulars on CurlingZone. Luckily, this is not a CCA mandate, and Teams Homan (the sky is falling and they're jerks!) and Koe (sure, they're 4-0, but they talk too much and they're slow and it's not the way I would do it!) probably won't be reading any of this garbage (my post included). [Also, something about the announcers being awful! Why won't they ever hire a good one! It has literally never happened!]

I still think Canada will win both golds! And I'm done with you people! (I'll be back)

/sarcasm (in case it wasn't obvious...I think someone asked for this one time)

02-16-18 12:14PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

I don't know what the coaching situation and rules are in the Olympics. If a team truly is having trouble with their coach and there's a dispute, is it like other sports where the coach can do things like bench a player or command that they do something the coach's way? Or are the teams free to ignore the coach completely and decide the line-up themselves?

02-16-18 12:34PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Now, go Canada go

02-16-18 12:49PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Oh dear - burnt rock gate is now the top headline on CBC's website.

Quick another Canadian win gold!!! Where's Earle!?! (Homan's old coach)

02-16-18 12:51PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

We are mostly curlers here and we know how the mental game can totally blow it for us. Renee is qualified, and so is Cheryl, in her way. And their own coach. Everyone wants the team to fly, but there needs to be a release. The look on Rachel Homan's face on the Olympics page, showing her after the loss is all-telling. Darkness where levity needs to lurk. Can her team mates or her family help her through? As curlers, we know where she has gone and only loving the game, win or lose, can bring her back. Good luck Team Homan. Go Canada Go.

02-16-18 01:32PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:

GERRY: We really do need a like button.

And a really strong dislike button. Still cheering for our flag but that choice of Homan's was so wrong....

02-16-18 01:40PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

" I really, really, really hope they understand how very unsportman like pulling that rock was.." JB42

Normally every person will get a lot from their life if they are humble and respectful of others because it's part of the social contract. But are professional sports part of that contract? If you are a professional athlete playing in a hyper competitive sport, watched by the whole world, that pays big bucks, a small amount of hubris will go a long way. But when it's applied to professional sportsmanship, it is just an illusion. Professionals have only one job, namely: follow the rules and win.

Frankly, I think it is totally disingenuous to pretend that sportsmanship is somehow a driving force in sports. It isn't. It's showmanship. Showmanship is why we watch sports on tv or elsewhere. Showmanship is exciting and it is only when we start feeling guilty about it that we try to impose real life on sports. Sportsmanship is for kids; showmanship is for adult sports fans.

While removing that rock was, of course, technically within the rules established umpteen years ago, rules which Schmirler always took advantage of, let me ask you and all the other "holier - than - you posters:

If the burned rock just happened to be the final rock of the game, AND the game-winning rock, would you still allow sportsmanship to prevail
and hand the win to a team which had violated the existing rules of the game?

I sure as hell hope not!!

Finally, the two sweepers, as well as the Skip, were all very aware When that rock was burned. To be correct, to be ethical, to be professional, that rock should have been removed immediately - while the rock was still in motion - before Homan could even blink.

Shame on the Danes.

02-16-18 02:03PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

Most definitely the rock should not have been pulled by the Danes, inside the near hogline all rocks have to come to rest. Then the options kick in. Leave everything as is, place the rocks where they think they would have finished had the infraction not occurred or remove the rock and replace all the other rocks as near as possible to their original position. Yes this is the non offending teams choice but the touch had absolutely no effect on the shot as it happened right at the end. There is the spirit of the game and I have seen Koe in a Brier game overrule the eye on the hog when it indicated a violation that was clearly wrong and let a player rethrow a shot. Sometimes what the rule allow you to do doesn't mean it is the proper thing to do.

02-16-18 02:06PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
" I really, really, really hope they understand how very unsportman like pulling that rock was.." JB42

Normally every person will get a lot from their life if they are humble and respectful of others because it's part of the social contract. But are professional sports part of that contract? If you are a professional athlete playing in a hyper competitive sport, watched by the whole world, that pays big bucks, a small amount of hubris will go a long way. But when it's applied to professional sportsmanship, it is just an illusion. Professionals have only one job, namely: follow the rules and win.

Frankly, I think it is totally disingenuous to pretend that sportsmanship is somehow a driving force in sports. It isn't. It's showmanship. Showmanship is why we watch sports on tv or elsewhere. Showmanship is exciting and it is only when we start feeling guilty about it that we try to impose real life on sports. Sportsmanship is for kids; showmanship is for adult sports fans.

While removing that rock was, of course, technically within the rules established umpteen years ago, rules which Schmirler always took advantage of, let me ask you and all the other "holier - than - you posters:

If the burned rock just happened to be the final rock of the game, AND the game-winning rock, would you still allow sportsmanship to prevail
and hand the win to a team which had violated the existing rules of the game?

I sure as hell hope not!!

Finally, the two sweepers, as well as the Skip, were all very aware When that rock was burned. To be correct, to be ethical, to be professional, that rock should have been removed immediately - while the rock was still in motion - before Homan could even blink.

Shame on the Danes.

Well put Deliverer - something that all of us curling etiquette experts are forgetting, the team that burns the rock is supposed to own up to it...and accept the decision of the opposition with grace. I guess with no medals - Denmark needs to do all they can to get one. I noticed that CBC has taken down the burnt rock story. And replaced it with a much better one - Kevin's indigenous heritage.