Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 11 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-15-18 08:56PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i think what's hurting rachel here is the poor calls at the worst times.

in the game against korea that shot she tried just wasn't there. based on how korea played that last end you might like their chances to have set up a steal situation in the tenth . think the draw was the call. she could have even picked out shot rock if she wasn't comfortable drawing. she also could have played a tap of some sort for maybe 2.

then in the game against sweden , again there were some questionable calls and on the last one she was just that bit to heavy

i said before i could see her doing a jacobs 2014 and running the table after a slow start. thing is though they have not had a great season in the overall picture. they've been very beatable all year and that's continued here.

if she loses again early though things could be very interesting down the stretch. a 1-3 record ... would make things interesting

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-16-18 01:03AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
i think what's hurting rachel here is the poor calls at the worst times.

A bit of that, yes, but more importantly, she is just plain missing shots while her opponents are making them. When your skip is missing, your team is in deep trouble.

She has the talent, but making it count at the Olympics isn't a guarantee in any sport. The pressure must be incredible.

02-16-18 01:12AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

How classy is that. World class embarrassment to to Canada. Rachel is fast losing respect and support.

02-16-18 01:12AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Well it's official Team Homan is living the nightmare. We've all been there. Seemingly no matter what you do it turns out wrong.

At the moment they are living in backward land. They are playing a club team in Denmark. The only way they are going to beat you is if you give it to them. So....play the runback. If they get a deuce who cares. Tied with hammer is complete control against a team you are so much better than. What you can't do is give them a chance for three. What do they do? Try to cut them down to 1 instead and give them a 3.

Wow. Denmark burns a rock after the hog line and Homan takes it off!???? The burn made no difference. Nobody would or should take it off. This is officially a melt down.

02-16-18 01:20AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

A tainted 4 ender
Very poor sportsmanship
Very sour taste while I debate to cheer for Denmark

02-16-18 01:56AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

77% for Jo Ann Courtney? What reefer is that scorer smoking?

02-16-18 02:29AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by JB42 Wow. Denmark burns a rock after the hog line and Homan takes it off!???? The burn made no difference. Nobody would or should take it off. This is officially a melt down. [/B]

That rock was almost completely stopped. The reaction of the Danish skip was priceless. She shook her head a few times then looked at her teammates and gestured as if to say, "Who does that?"

Then at the fifth end break, I think I saw Team Homan laugh at Sonnenberg behind her back. She rambled about clarity (it was nonsense, admittedly) and then walked away to her seat in the stands. The rest of Team Homan ignored her, said nothing, and then once Sonnenberg was out of earshot, Emma asked, "I'm sorry, what did she say?" Everyone chuckled. I may have misheard that, but I don't think so.

02-16-18 03:02AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

That is called "Karma".

02-16-18 03:18AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

What a collapse. Also scores are not up to date at all on scoreboard here. Draw is over but no results up here. Be really surprised if Homan can turn it around. Too much advice, I think. Just go out and curl.

02-16-18 03:44AM
JB42
Drawmaster

Let me start off by saying that Team Homan is my favorite team in the world. I never much cared for women's curling until they came around. The Colleen Jones Connie Laliberte days were pretty much unwatchable. Now I prefer watching Team Homan to any other team. That said.

The collapse is now complete. I've been somewhat at a loss to explain why this team is not more dominant, now I know. Their shot calling is to put it bluntly terrible. At one point they were not only the best in the world they were breaking new ground in the history of the sport. The tick shot as an offensive weapon. Having a multitude of releases. Playing runbacks with a pop release and negative ice. Now that I think of it since they parted ways with Earl Morris they're strategy has dropped from being the best in the world to now, well, baffling is the only way to put it charitably.

The last three calls they made in the extra were brutal. On Emma's last you have to hit the red and move your yellow. On Rachel's first you have to throw the inturn and hit the bloody thing anywhere. In effect they couldn't hit a wide open rock twice in a row to finish the game. On the last one admittedly it wasn't the call but bringing the weight down in the slide path in the extra is whack-a-doodle.

Can they recover? Sure, anything's possible. But for this team going forward in the years to come they desperately need a strategy coach. I'd suggest going to back to Earl. Or Glenn. Best of all I'd suggest the Savill Centre for an extended period in the off season and going over lots and lots of tape with Kevin Martin. The reason Martin was so dominant was that he was the best in the game at calculating risk, and understanding when to break with convention to lower the difficulty of your shots and raise the difficulty of the oppositions shots. E.g. His draw to the back of the four foot defense instead of taking on a low probability runback.

I wish them well and only hope for the best for them. No doubt no one is more disappointed than they are at this moment in time.

One last thing. I really, really, really hope they understand how very unsportman like pulling that rock was and never, ever, do something like that again. Nothing is more important than your reputation for fair play and integrity. Something Kevin can also tell them about.

02-16-18 05:01AM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
Let me start off by saying that Team Homan is my favorite team in the world. I never much cared for women's curling until they came around. The Colleen Jones Connie Laliberte days were pretty much unwatchable. Now I prefer watching Team Homan to any other team. That said.

The collapse is now complete. I've been somewhat at a loss to explain why this team is not more dominant, now I know. Their shot calling is to put it bluntly terrible. At one point they were not only the best in the world they were breaking new ground in the history of the sport. The tick shot as an offensive weapon. Having a multitude of releases. Playing runbacks with a pop release and negative ice. Now that I think of it since they parted ways with Earl Morris they're strategy has dropped from being the best in the world to now, well, baffling is the only way to put it charitably.

The last three calls they made in the extra were brutal. On Emma's last you have to hit the red and move your yellow. On Rachel's first you have to throw the inturn and hit the bloody thing anywhere. In effect they couldn't hit a wide open rock twice in a row to finish the game. On the last one admittedly it wasn't the call but bringing the weight down in the slide path in the extra is whack-a-doodle.

Can they recover? Sure, anything's possible. But for this team going forward in the years to come they desperately need a strategy coach. I'd suggest going to back to Earl. Or Glenn. Best of all I'd suggest the Savill Centre for an extended period in the off season and going over lots and lots of tape with Kevin Martin. The reason Martin was so dominant was that he was the best in the game at calculating risk, and understanding when to break with convention to lower the difficulty of your shots and raise the difficulty of the oppositions shots. E.g. His draw to the back of the four foot defense instead of taking on a low probability runback.

I wish them well and only hope for the best for them. No doubt no one is more disappointed than they are at this moment in time.

One last thing. I really, really, really hope they understand how very unsportman like pulling that rock was and never, ever, do something like that again. Nothing is more important than your reputation for fair play and integrity. Something Kevin can also tell them about.

I was going to come on here and post something like this but JB42 is close enough to my thoughts that I didn't bother.

The only thing I will add is that I am a huge Team Homan fan and I am really really disappointed by the rock pulling in the 5th. Not sure if they have completely lost me as a fan but the move is the very definition of classless. I think in time Homan will regret her decision to pull the rock. To be honest if she doesn't already regret it I think she's lost me. Regardless of what happens in this competition I think this will always be a black spot on her. Nobody likes cheering for a poor sport, I know I don't. I've actually always enjoyed her 'serious' demeanor on the ice but no matter how poorly that 5th end was going it was a poor choice.

02-16-18 06:57AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Three
The only thing I will add is that I am a huge Team Homan fan and I am really really disappointed by the rock pulling in the 5th. Not sure if they have completely lost me as a fan but the move is the very definition of classless. I think in time Homan will regret her decision to pull the rock. To be honest if she doesn't already regret it I think she's lost me. Regardless of what happens in this competition I think this will always be a black spot on her. Nobody likes cheering for a poor sport, I know I don't. I've actually always enjoyed her 'serious' demeanor on the ice but no matter how poorly that 5th end was going it was a poor choice.

^ Well expressed... and I agree.

No doubt that move of removing the rock has cost them some significant support. That, combined with an 0-3 record, and playing poorly, makes winning a medal an uphill climb, at best.

I think it's very evident that the pressure of the Olympics has gotten to them - and especially to Homan. That the Canadian men's team has started 3-0 adds to the pressure and places even more focus on the 0-3 start.
The result is a standard of play that is noticeably below their usual standard. No doubt the pulling of the burned rock was also the result of the nerves and anxiety caused by an 0-2 start at the OLYMPICS - and being the favourite to win Gold.
At 0-3, the pressure will only increase. But pressure is self created, of course. Still, they will likely feel even more pressure now, at 0-3, than they felt at 0-2. The burned rock controversy places an even a stronger spotlight on the team, which results in them feeling even more pressure. It's the opposite of what they need.
Maybe we'll only see the talent we're used to seeing from them if they get eliminated from medal contention, and can relax.

Here's a decent (if somewhat tilted) article on the team...
http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/bi...ympics-pebbled/

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 02-16-18 at 07:58AM

02-16-18 08:16AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I am stunned they lost to denmark. denmark, no offense to them is the weakest team in the field so to lose to them is, needless to say a little concerning.

if we are being realistic 4 losses is the cut off point for anything. that means they need to either go 5-1 or 6-0 against the field remaining. that's not out of the question and still entirely possible. however the rest of the teams are going to sense an opportunity. knock out canada and winning a medal, winning gold gets a lot more likely. won't be surprised if every team left brings their all against canada now.

6-3 is still possible but no one saw this coming.

in the long run though this may be a good thing. think about it. this team has never had to battle adversity before. they have never had this slow start. this will answer the question of how do they respond. do they battle through and find a way or do they fold it in and poubt and just spiral down

at some point though all great champions face an event like this.

02-16-18 08:18AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
Well ithem down to 1 instead

Wow. Denmark burns a rock after the hog line and Homan takes it off!???? The burn made no difference. Nobody would or should take it off. This is officially a melt down.

Removing the stone was so classless. Shame on the Cdn team!
Karma came back to bite her in the EE.

02-16-18 08:19AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Thanks for sharing that article. Its really a fairy tale read. I was annoyed when I watched the game that resulted in Canada's third loss. I read the article and I''m beginning to think that these four ladies are just plain tired and so emotional. I'm going to stay with them and wish them well in their remaining games. I feel quite sorry for them as I honestly believe they are giving their best and it just isn't working out. C'mon ladies, you've still got a whole country behind you.

02-16-18 08:19AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

also, since i i was asleep at the time and missed the game can someone fill me in on this rock controversy i see people talking about?

02-16-18 08:30AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
also, since i i was asleep at the time and missed the game can someone fill me in on this rock controversy i see people talking about?

DEN touched a stone (aka burned) after the hogline and CDN choose to remove it, Touched stone did not affect anything! We have all seen it before and every skip just says ok leave it, You can see it on video- cbc archives.

02-16-18 08:35AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by decade

DEN touched a stone (aka burned) after the hogline and CDN choose to remove it, Touched stone did not affect anything! We have all seen it before and every skip just says ok leave it, You can see it on video- cbc archives.

okay, thank you. wow. surprising. tension is really getting to them.

02-16-18 08:50AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

In 2014, both curling teams were allowed to bring the 5ths and coaches of their choice along with a rep from CC for each.

Last year at the Worlds, Team Homan had their regular 5th - Cheryl K and coach/psychologist. They won.

All of a sudden prior to the trials from what I understand, Team Homan is told their 5th is not good enough? Yet Jacobs who won in 2014 had a longtime 5th who did not have Olympic experience. Jone's 5th while experienced had not been to an Olympics either.

My question is why did CC meddle with Team Homan? Koe's 5th has not been to an Olympic games either. I look at the Homan bench and there is Cheryl B who never comes out during the time outs and Renee who does and Adam who is at the end. Very intriguing...

02-16-18 08:57AM
watcher2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for watcher2 Click here to Send watcher2 a Private Message Find more posts by watcher2 Add watcher2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
watcher2
Harvey Hacksmasher

So why is anyone surprised at Canada's ladies poor performance? I've predicted it would happen for years.

Most of the International teams are far better funded. We let them play and mainly live in Canada so they could learn to beat us.

Their coaching was trained in Canada and we paid for much of that training by the millions of government dollars wasted on CAC.

So just what did you think the end result would be? And by the way, if Canadians don't smarten up this is just the beginning.

Last edited by watcher2 on 02-16-18 at 08:59AM

02-16-18 09:00AM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

First off, Homan is not classless for removing the burnt Danish stone. Let's make that crystal effing clear.

What is classless is every single poster who has stated such. All you are doing is showing your ignorance of the rules of the sport.

DENMARK broke the rules, not Homan. As such it is Homans choice of the options available to her. Her choice cannot, therefore, be considered sportsmanlike or not.

Poor sportsmanship is on the Danes for REACTING to Homans choice. It is childish and petty on their part to show disbelief or any emotion when they violated a rule and aren't happy with a potential penalty that is clearly outlined in the rules.

Granted, it's a little like a hockey player being allowed to decide how long his opponent sits in the box for a hooking call, but if they don't like the way a rule is written or enforced then take it up with the governing body.

So get off your soapboxes about this. Homan is struggling against teams that have stepped up their game. They don't need a bunch of ignorant armchair aholes judging them for following the rules properly.

02-16-18 09:08AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by watcher2
So why is anyone surprised at Canada's ladies poor performance? I've predicted it would happen for years.

Most of the International teams are far better funded. We let them play and mainly live in Canada so they could learn to beat us.

Their coaching was trained in Canada and we paid for much of that training by the millions of government dollars wasted on CAC.

So just what did you think the end result would be? And by the way, if Canadians don't smarten up this is just the beginning.

right, that's the problem. you nailed it. meanwhile the canadian men are 4-0. kind of blows your theory apart.

02-16-18 09:15AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Those in the US wishing to see the burned rock moment, go to the replay on the NBC apps or website and play from about 1:08:30.

02-16-18 09:22AM
Ajay
Drawmaster

So get off your soapboxes about this. Homan is struggling against teams that have stepped up their game. They don't need a bunch of ignorant armchair aholes judging them for following the rules properly.

I'm one of the many a''holes that was always supportive of Canada and fully aware of Homans ability and past success. Other teams have not stepped up, she has fallen off the cliff. Yes there are rules and there are rules and then there is 100 years of curling etiquette . Other sports do have rules and many infractions/penalties are judgement calls and have latitude.

02-16-18 09:28AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Homan's style and demeanor was often attributed to youth, but she's not a young curler anymore. She's fine when she is winning, but she cannot resolve the snit. I teach youth curlers to realize when they are watching a game, "They are not happy because they are winning, they are winning because they are happy." Simple nugget that Homan has never been taught. It is unique in our sport. She needs to laugh at herself and learn that it is a game and you do not pull rocks. #omg