Foster Final
Lacoursiere (7) Watch Live Curling!
Doig Final
Shand (8) Watch Live Curling!
Anderson Final
Miskiman (7) Watch Live Curling!
Streifel Final
Quintin (8) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-22-18 09:04AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Well I couldn't have called that more wrong. Kennedy was nowhere near his best, and Team U.S.A. outcurled us at every position. A disappointing Olympics for sure.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-22-18 09:27AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

Koe didn't just miss that draw in the 8th...he missed it by a mile. That looked like one of Homan's Olympic draws. I know the top teams from the rest of the world have caught up to Canada's top teams, but Canada's best skips should still be able to hit the house when needed.

02-22-18 10:50AM
corn broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for corn broom Click here to Send corn broom a Private Message Find more posts by corn broom Add corn broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
corn broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

I am happy for the Shuster rink, they are playing there best at the right time and that is critical in these long events. This group worked hard to get here and even though the USCA will say they are one of theirs, this is and was a self formed team. First they were rejected and then brought into the fold when US curling wanted to take credit for their accomplishments. I am pretty sure that would leave a chip on your shoulder! Congrats Team Shuster.

02-22-18 11:04AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by corn broom
I am happy for the Shuster rink, they are playing there best at the right time and that is critical in these long events. This group worked hard to get here and even though the USCA will say they are one of theirs, this is and was a self formed team. First they were rejected and then brought into the fold when US curling wanted to take credit for their accomplishments. I am pretty sure that would leave a chip on your shoulder! Congrats Team Shuster.

Yes. Self-formed. Long haul to this point. Congratulations team Shuster. Drove all the way to Swan River to play in WCT events. Road Warriors. Studied and learned. Good luck in the gold medal game. And Team Koe - we need the bronze - Team Canada needs that bronze. Go Cda Go

02-22-18 11:08AM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
Team Koe is playing great and I will be astonished if they don't make the gold medal game. After giving up the four they were pretty much flawless. Moral of the story, don't give up four. To call it rare is to understate the case by a lot. Sure they lost but they played at a level that is gonna be damn hard to beat. It was the kind of loss that only sharpens your game.

The game against Team Sweden was to put it simply a classic. Awesome curling by both sides. It is the kinda of game that you dream of playing in, and the kind of game that you care least about losing. Sure you'd rather win, always. But if you are any kind of curler at all you'd rather be on the losing end of that kind of game than winning ugly in a **** show.

As to their play calling. Aside from the FGZ the best thing that the brothers Howard brought to the game was democracy. When I was a kid a curling team was run like a dictatorship or a corporation or a military unit. I.e. Shut up and follow orders. Seriously it was that bad, and it was the convention everywhere, and woe unto those who didn't follow suit. They were instantly and always labelled "bad teammates".

Russ and Glenn didn't curl that way, and Glenn took it to a whole new level when he took over his own team. As a result no team had better chemistry and no team has ever been better able to come back from adversity. Slowly but surely this innovation spread across the curling landscape and now is the norm.

As a result, finally, every player is now fully engaged. Used to be a lead and second threw their rocks, swept, and paid as little attention as humanely possible lest they see something they felt the need to share. Now every player is fully engaged in reading the ice, remembering the paths, and contributing to the strategy. As a result every position is more properly understood to be the critical component to success that it is and always was in reality.

Team Koe is completely devoted to the Howard system and the better for it. I can also guarantee you that they are also far less stressed now than they were curling for Martin. Kevin understood the advantages of this innovation but, shall we say, didn't find it the easiest change to make.

Well Said. You do not get points for finishing with the most time on the clock and you do not get to carry over time into your next game. Team Koe utilizes their time well (for the most part) and with the experience they have, they use it. I coach junior curling and I tell my teams that the skip should leave the house for their final rock with one minute on the clock. That's plenty of time to set up and shoot.

02-22-18 12:00PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:

I'm surprised they won but it's not shocking they've been a solid improving team for several years who got into the gym to try to take the next step. Every country gets a team and in a short run a medal is possible for most of them.

I have to wonder if the heavy schedules these Olympic hopefuls in Canada ( and some intl teams ) play lead to burn out. Especially the players that have been near the top for an extended period of time, or have new life commitments beyond Curling. Might be time to adjust the point system to allow teams a reduced schedule more easily.

Well done Team Shuster and hopefully Team Koe can get over the loss and pick up a bronze.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 02-22-18 at 04:21PM

02-22-18 12:08PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD
Koe didn't just miss that draw in the 8th...he missed it by a mile. That looked like one of Homan's Olympic draws. I know the top teams from the rest of the world have caught up to Canada's top teams, but Canada's best skips should still be able to hit the house when needed.

Numerous teams had their moments struggling with reading the tracks on the ice for draws. Canada still has the majority of great men's teams; in an isolated event where everybody gets an entry you aren't going to win every time.

02-22-18 12:36PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Ever since Shuster's whining at the 2016 worlds against Japan, I have not been a fan. They curled better than Canada on this day. Deserved the win. With that said, GO SWEDEN!!

02-22-18 02:59PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:

If it wasn't for Shuster, the HPP program at the USCA would look at bit dodgy. Unfortunately, Shuster's comeback in the last half of this event might give Derek Brown a veneer of legitimacy he needs to continue into the next cycle.

02-22-18 03:54PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

given that koe put this team together for the olympics im wondering if they'll stay together another 4 years.

02-22-18 05:29PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Hate to break it to ya, fresca....but Israel's already got a curling program...heck, they almost got into European A's this year

02-22-18 05:59PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

If disappointment is a prerequisite for championship, I vote team McEwen to take the lead in the next round toward the Oly's in Beijing. They have knocked on every door and know the feeling of loss to the point where they are left with the joy of the game and that critical relaxation.

02-22-18 09:37PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

For years I've been stating that the best hope for growth in the sport lies directly south of our border. You want a real chance for true professionalism? Then it comes from where the real money lives: the US of A.

And now the best chance of that occurring is the Men's Gold Medal game.

True, Edin is a heavy favorite. But the Yanks have a wonderfully annoying habit of rising to the occassion and flipping the bird at the odds makers.

Yet, while a gold win would be great for the states, just making the final might be all that's needed to push the sport into the limelight in America and launch the future.

Should be interesting to see what kind of noise comes from the US media on this. Meanwhile, if you hope for the future of curling, cheer for Schuster.

02-23-18 12:46AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD

How did you do when you were at the Olympics. Just wondering.

02-23-18 02:23AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by albetts
If we need to have qualified for the Olympics in order to post here then I guess this forum will dry up pretty quickly.

02-23-18 03:43AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

We sent Canada’s best teams. They didn’t bring their A game this week. Lots of chances, lots of misses. The wrong way. Oh well, time to start the next 4 year run.

02-23-18 08:27AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:

And I'm sure you never comment about pro football or any other sport unless you've played it at an elite level. I'm sorry, when you're at the Olympics, you're open to comments (good or bad)... This isn't Thursday night beer league.

Canada got outplayed. It wasn't like Canada (men) just completely fell apart, the other teams just did a bit better (at least it shows percentage-wise)

02-23-18 09:16AM
CURLING NUTS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLING NUTS Click here to Send CURLING NUTS a Private Message Visit CURLING NUTS's homepage! Find more posts by CURLING NUTS Add CURLING NUTS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLING NUTS
Swing Artist

Thumbs down Bad 2018 for curling team sports

Koe lost again for the bronze medal. OMG.

02-23-18 09:33AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

So the rest of the world has officially caught up to Canada. Congratulations to the Swiss, Great game,
No more automatic medals gold or otherwise. (guess that could be said about our hockey teams as well). How about a mixed double hockey game?

02-23-18 02:17PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Canada's dream team became a nightmare today. Sorry for the loss. Congrats to Switzerland. They played really well. Canada just couldn't put it together.

02-23-18 02:43PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Not a nightmare. Too bad both teams weren't at their best but probably more unusual that both won at last Olympics. Sweden has really good elite teams although no where near the depth of Canada.

02-23-18 09:18PM
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IMWright

And I'm sure you never comment about pro football or any other sport unless you've played it at an elite level. I'm sorry, when you're at the Olympics, you're open to comments (good or bad)... This isn't Thursday night beer league.

Canada got outplayed. It wasn't like Canada (men) just completely fell apart, the other teams just did a bit better (at least it shows percentage-wise)

No, I don't comment on football because I don't watch it. Actually, I don't understand it. Anyway, Canada was certainly outplayed in both semi's. Too bad. I really thought they'd pull it off. U.S. played outstanding and Switzerland hung in there and made some terrific shots. No gold in curling except in mixed doubles and no gold in hockey. Wow. Thanks to the other medal winners they are doing us proud.

02-23-18 09:58PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:

No, I don't comment on football because I don't watch it. Actually, I don't understand it. Anyway, Canada was certainly outplayed in both semi's. Too bad. I really thought they'd pull it off. U.S. played outstanding and Switzerland hung in there and made some terrific shots. No gold in curling except in mixed doubles and no gold in hockey. Wow. Thanks to the other medal winners they are doing us proud.

Both semis???

02-23-18 11:40PM
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by guido

Both semis???

Oh look, someone does read my posts. lol. Sorry, meant their loss to the U.S. then their loss to Switzerland.

02-24-18 01:00AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

Both teams played well below their abilities.
Why?
They both had sports psychologists.
I blame them for messing up Koe/Homan and causing them to curl poorly.