Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Next Olympic Cycle Team Changes

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 12 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-05-18 11:46PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Next Olympic Cycle Team Changes

Well, the games haven't even started yet and already teams are splitting up. I figured we might as well get a thread going to keep track of all the confirmed changes as there will no doubt be countless more announcements as time goes on.

Obviously Michelle Englot is retiring, and Kate Cameron made it sound (on Twitter) like the team is going their seperate ways:

What a two years it’s been with @team_englot - so honoured to have curled with @MichelleEnglot @Raunora and Leslie. These girls truly made the sacrifices completely worth it. #foreverfriends #lifegoeson

https://twitter.com/katecameron02/s...684209555144704

Team Rocque announced they're splitting up on their Facebook page a few hours ago:
Another year has almost come to a close for us! 3 years have passed and we have shared countless memories and experiences together that we will never forget. At this time, all of us have chosen to pursue other options for the next quadrennial separately. We are so thankful for everything we have accomplished together and we wish everyone the best of luck moving forward with whatever it is they choose to do!

A special thank you goes out to our coach Lesley McEwan. We cannot express how grateful we are for all that you have taught us, the knowledge that you have shared, and the sacrifices that you have made to help us grow as athletes. You are an incredible role model for any woman to look up to and an exceptional coach.

Thank you again to all of our wonderful sponsors and supporters. Without you, these last 3 years of travel and competitions would not have been possible.

https://www.facebook.com/Team-Rocque-1626781497550934/

Also, it is of note that the Team Tippin Facebook and Twitter accounts have been deleted, which I assume means something.

Outside of Canada, a few months back Team Kauste (Aku, not Oona) from Finland announced they're hanging it up.

At the moment, I can't think of any other teams that have confirmed anything. Obviously there are lots of rumors, theories, and gossip...but for now I'm sticking to what has been confirmed (for the most part, as I'm just inferring with Tippin).

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-06-18 01:23AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

Team Jacobs and, I believe Carruthers have stated their intentions to stay together for the next 4 year cycle.

02-06-18 07:56AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

jacobs has stated that team is staying together .

i said it before multiple times, i'd be surprised if epping stayed together . maybe winning ontario helped but i've felt all season they were just going through the motions

sweeting should make some changes

think this might be the end for howard so it'll be interesting to see where scott and david go

casey might make changes again. can't see him happy with how this season went. same thing goes for cotter

question is if morris will continue playing or stick with cotter or will he wind up somewhere else

think simmons may be done with his young manitoba team.

virtue still going in saskatchewan and made it deep this year..maybe him and casey team up?

internationally it's harder to say because they tend to change less. ulsrud has stated it's his last year. the only real reason he went another 4 is to get to the olympics

can't see much changing out there. maybe patz makes some changes? . i guess maybe some of the scottish teams could make changes. mouat and smith should stick together though.

can't see any of the chinese, japanese, or korean teams changing with the exception of maybe liu possibly retiring. same goes with the american teams. stjerne for denmark maybe. depends on what frederiksen wants to do. maybe snitil retires too. the german teams..well, they don't exactly have a deep well to pick from. teams they have now may be the best they can get.
wonder if michel will come back for switzerland.

maybe kate cameron teams up with shannon birchard? that could be a really strong combination.

don't know why but i can see kendra lilly stepping away from mccarville and skipping her own team again.

thomas will either make changes or step back again.

mcewen, gushue will stay together. so will laycock.

if koe was put together for the olympics though maybe they'll break up after it's done. whether or not that means retirement i don't know but with their goal achieved maybe they'll split up

Last edited by misty1 on 02-06-18 at 08:21AM

02-06-18 12:13PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I have a feeling we may see Sherri Middaugh make some team changes as they didn't really do too well at the last two provincials. Alison Flaxey is another one who could make some team changes.

Even though Epping made the Brier - unless they win it, I don't think this team will stay together. It will be interesting to see what Team Howard does.

02-06-18 04:55PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I have a feeling we may see Sherri Middaugh make some team changes as they didn't really do too well at the last two provincials. Alison Flaxey is another one who could make some team changes.

Even though Epping made the Brier - unless they win it, I don't think this team will stay together. It will be interesting to see what Team Howard does.

i actually wouldn't be to surprised if sherry retired after the end of the season.

i think this year might see a number of them. glenn, sherry, we already had michele. kevin koe might depending on what he does at the olympics. john morris, who sounded like he was close to it before jim gave him the call. we'll see

02-06-18 08:44PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I suspect more mens shakeups and announcements after the brier. Ripple affect.

02-06-18 08:50PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Old Glenny, even at 55/56 still has a ton of shots in his arsenal. Perhaps merging the Epping & Howard teams - Howard & his boy merge with Epping and his best front ender.

Yet to be decided who skips but I'd lean to Epping w/ Glen calling the shots. Especially if Epping wilts against the so-called monsters at this years event

Sherry Middaugh is no longer a force in Ontario womens curling. Plain & Simple!

Reid, Jacobs & Goo still on a rocket ride for another Olympic cycle. They're all pretty young dudes.

Haven't heard about that big salamander Kevin Koe hanging it up - even if he wins gold in Korea. He's barely 45.

The biggest focus is on Alberta women. Lots of flips and flops to come!

Also, couple of exceptional Saskatchewan curlers may be looking to latch onto quality teams - ie. Stephanie Schmidt, Lana Vey.

Kate Cameron made a good decision to disband herself from the remnants of Team Englot. She could be a Tier 1B skip in Manitoba, Kenora, Moosomin, etc. or put herself out as a really scary Tear 1 3rd.

I wonder if Chels Carey could use a player like Cameron?

what kind of sense would it make for epping to team up with howard when howard is likely very close to retirement, if he won't this year.

epping would be looking for a team for the long term. i don't know where he'll go from here though if i'm right and this team breaks up. i wonder if scott howard would team up with richard hart's sons. maybe camm teams up with his brother. john..i don't know. maybe he teams up with kean? maybe he grabs bice or squires. some of the talented guys from ontario that are young out there. maybe if he wants to go out of province he could link up with some young recently out of juniors guy like calvert. maybe he could lure one of the horgan brothers closer to him.

Last edited by misty1 on 02-06-18 at 08:53PM

02-08-18 10:15PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Team McCarville announced that they're sticking together.

02-10-18 02:21PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Manitoba women's team Meilleur has posted on FB that they are going their separate ways.

02-10-18 03:56PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Nadine Scotland announced that their team is splitting up.

02-12-18 12:53AM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Team Duncan (Ontario) announced they're staying together.

02-12-18 05:44PM
nickelcity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickelcity Click here to Send nickelcity a Private Message Find more posts by nickelcity Add nickelcity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nickelcity
Harvey Hacksmasher

Team Fleury has announced they will be disbanding at the end of the season, citing retirement/recharging time in some cases, and some time off for families. Others will be looking at other opportunities/teams.

02-12-18 06:11PM
amandabulge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amandabulge Click here to Send amandabulge a Private Message Visit amandabulge's homepage! Find more posts by amandabulge Add amandabulge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amandabulge
Hitting Paint

Julie Tippin has created a new facebook page. They are looking for a backend player. Looks like Chantelle no longer on team. Not sure if she left or what but when you go info about team no longer mentioned

02-12-18 08:22PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by nickelcity
Team Fleury has announced they will be disbanding at the end of the season, citing retirement/recharging time in some cases, and some time off for families. Others will be looking at other opportunities/teams.

yeah, i saw that. this one actually make me kind of sad to see.

02-12-18 10:31PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

Team Einarson is going to finish off this season with their 2 remaining slams, then head their separate ways. Lead-second-third are sticking together to play with a new skip, Einarson is exploring her options.

02-13-18 03:24AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
Team Einarson is going to finish off this season with their 2 remaining slams, then head their separate ways. Lead-second-third are sticking together to play with a new skip, Einarson is exploring her options.

Interesting - especially after doing so well and making the finals of the National tournament (sponsored by that toilet paper company).

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

02-13-18 08:01PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout

Of all the announcements so far (and there will be lots more), this to me is the most surprising. Will be really interesting to see where they end up.

Maybe Einarson skips whats left of Englots team?

Last edited by nelsosi on 02-13-18 at 08:03PM

02-13-18 09:21PM
Donr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donr Click here to Send Donr a Private Message Find more posts by Donr Add Donr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donr
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

Of all the announcements so far (and there will be lots more), this to me is the most surprising. Will be really interesting to see where they end up.

Maybe Einarson skips whats left of Englots team?

She has stated that 1 player on the new team is in Alberta...so you can forget the former Englot team

02-14-18 01:36AM
nickelcity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickelcity Click here to Send nickelcity a Private Message Find more posts by nickelcity Add nickelcity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nickelcity
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Donr

She has stated that 1 player on the new team is in Alberta...so you can forget the former Englot team

Where/when did she state this? I haven't seen or heard anything since the original news of the breakup.

02-14-18 08:25AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nickelcity

Where/when did she state this? I haven't seen or heard anything since the original news of the breakup.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/s...-473959173.html

Is the Alberta girl Carey coming home? That would be a good rumour.

Last edited by IN-OFF-FOR-2 on 02-14-18 at 09:22AM

02-14-18 02:45PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Carey is a mystical figure in curling circles. A talented performer to be sure - but moody and unpredictable at all but the best of times (like when she captured her first Canadian title)

Bringing Carey back to Manitoba to skip a team consisting of Kerri Einarson, vice, Leslie Wilson, 2nd & Raunora Westcott, lead would immediately become the #1 seed at next year's Manitoba championship - PLUS a formidable circuit team.

Westcott is a very underrated lead; she was a rock while her skip Englot floundered this year. Wilson looks like a more natural player and she possesses brutal power in her brush but she's no Jill Officer in terms of shot completions. Who is?

Still I'd like that team. Einarson is very easy-going whereas Cathy O. started to insinuate herself into Carey's thought process last season. The only problem is that Einarson is too easy going - Chelsea needs more support.

Every once in a while Chelsey needs to be put in place. Ever heard the statement "I know". Thats Chelsey's constant line when given a thought from her vice. Cathy O is far too good to be ignored and insulted by this 'I'm the skip, remember" woman.

02-14-18 02:56PM
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

Team Sweeting just announced they're splitting up after this season.

02-14-18 08:00PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Team Jones will stay together at least one more year...the question is if Birchard will leave her team to be their 5th.

Except for Einarson who said they will finish out the slam season, will the other teams do the same?

02-15-18 08:04AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

As Team Jones is the #1 team in the World I'm guessing they are also the best team in Canada.

The numbers aren't close, Team Jones have been the runaway leader of the pack all year.

Einarson and Cameron would have the firepower to match any team in the world when it comes to the modern game. I.e. The runback game.

I thought Cathy O and Chelsea got along really well. Super Sub however has no desire to be a full time curler anymore so Chelsea will have to find another Vice.

Watching Laura Crocker in the mixed doubles gave me a lot of appreciation for her game. Can't say I've ever seen her play otherwise as Team Rocque just didn't show up on tv very often. Peterman also really impressed me during the mixed doubles. They were the team I was pulling for, and were the class of the field all week until the semi-final. I can see her moving up to third with Chelsea.

Lauri Olson Johns no doubt wanted to retire and aside from Val maybe the rest of them didn't want to commit to the four year cycle. That's assuming of course that Val wants to make that commitment. Family time is a much bigger issue with the women's game than the men's. Though increasingly less so as we get more egalitarian about such things:-)

02-15-18 01:46PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
As Team Jones is the #1 team in the World I'm guessing they are also the best team in Canada.

The numbers aren't close, Team Jones have been the runaway leader of the pack all year.

Considering Jones probably played twice as many events and games while Homan played a limited schedule going by CTRS points is not a very good indicator which team is better.