W: Saskatchewan Viterra Scotties Last Chance
W: New Brunswick Scotties Prelims
W: Manitoba Scotties - Central Regional
W: Manitoba Scotties - Westman Regional
M: Dumfries Challenger Series
W: Wisconsin Womens Club Playdowns
W: Manitoba Scotties - Parkland Regional
Central Time (CT)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Olympic Playdowns --

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 9 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-28-17 09:22AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Olympic Playdowns --

looks like lots of games starting Saturday

i. notice we probably wont get much 3am games from Korea ... likely the Canadian games

I wonder in fat boy up north will disrupt the proceedings ... been quiet for awhile ... likely thinks the USA will be careful if so many athletes and visitors are 10 miles from the border ..

expect a few missle tests mid feb ..

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-28-17 10:00AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

If "Short Trump" acts up while Olympics are on - perhaps load some curling rocks with nuclear handles and have Rachel Homan, Jill Officer & Johnny Mo fire them across the neutral zone!

O the humanity! lol

11-28-17 03:37PM
IceMelter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IceMelter Click here to Send IceMelter a Private Message Find more posts by IceMelter Add IceMelter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IceMelter
Harvey Hacksmasher

I mean, If anything Fidel's love child out of the North would certainly talk to RocketMan before he does anything so drastic..

11-28-17 03:38PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Read about how Charlie Thomas and Glen Howard got the Pre-Trial Shaft here:

https://therockstopshere.wordpress.com/

11-28-17 06:49PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I think Rachel Homan and Brad Gushue march into Ottawa as prohibitive favourites for Olympic spots.

Homan might hobble her way to the event final with 2 or 3 losses - but I fully expect one of the nameplates to be hers on finals day. I'd be shocked if she was knocked out prior to the finals.

Obviously JJ is peaking at the right time - which was her game plan all along. . . . . but her last couple majors, have been frought with errors, mistakes and the occasional poor strategy. That level of game, while good against teams still trying to find their way - will simply NOT hold up vs. Homan at their best.

There is no one thing that Homan does best in women's play - other than pelting opponents with consistently high percentages and being unrelenting while doing so.

Whether it be Jones, Sweeting, Carey or other - Homan's potential victims cannot withstand that type of high-percentage shot-pelting.

On the mens side the story is similar. Gushue now throws up those incredible high percentages, game in and game out. Koe, McEwen, even Reid Carruthers can all stand up to Gushue - but can they win vs. Brad? That's the million dollar question. Gushue will either have to bring in his B or B- game for any other team to rep Canada.

I'll go out on a limb that if Glenn Howard had qualified for this event with Wayner and Rich Hart on board - he'd probably be the only team able to confront Gushue and take him on. Yep, even at 56/57

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 11-28-17 at 07:38PM

11-28-17 07:14PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

ML - how has Homan fared in this years slams enroute to the trials?

11-28-17 07:44PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
ML - how has Homan fared in this years slams enroute to the trials?

Below average to slightly above average. Nothing spectacular. The only thing she's focused on his repping Canada at the Olympics. Rachel herself has been down the most, Joanne isn't having the amazing season she portrayed last year and Lisa is a bit under her normal play. Only Miskew is maintaining her level. If that continues - they'll get themselves eaten alive by weaker teams who sense Team Homan is off-par.

Most teams have the book on Rachel - force her into a wee-house pitti-patti game, force her to draw and angle-tap for points - stay away from the Homan Lazer Gun. Jones is the past master of Clutter-House!

11-28-17 07:47PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Another reason I'm pickin' Homan (but cheering for Jones) is hometown advantage.

Last go round Jones fed off a huge Winnipeg MTS Centre crowd when she roared to the title!

This time its in Ottawa - obviously won't have the big crowds of 5,000 to 8,000 folks per draw but the majority of them will be cheering for their hometown gal - Miss Rachel.

11-30-17 09:51PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Saturdays first draw will be delayed 2 hours while USA bombs missile sites in N Korea

Russian marines are gathering at border of N Korea

Bitcoin crashes as ponzi scheme to avoid taxes and sell ectasy and get money to safe havens is exposed

koe 7
laycock 4

jacobs 6
cotter 4

olympics cancelled

12-01-17 10:31AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Big opening draw game as The Ottawa Mean Girls (Homan) do battle with Yo-Yo Carey and her half-Manitoban team.

Racking up an early loss won't wreck a team's playoff chances but it does put an early pressure on them to perform in their next few games.

Homan is coming in with a season of mediocrity behind her - but make no mistake - Rachel & Emma are natural born curling killers. Its hard (if not impossible) to imagine Cathy O staying with Emma for a full 10 ends - Cathy O is full of spirit and experience but a lazer gun she's not. Her shots are sometimes very imprecise compared to Emma's precision.

Carey can stand up to Rachel but it really depend which Chelsea shows up. That's why I call her Yo-Yo. If she's on top of her game - she'll either give Rachel a heckuva game - or perhaps hand Homan an early loss.

With 9 teams, 8 games per team in the round-robin here's the chances of securing a playoff with various losses:

0 losses - you finish #1 and play the 4th rated team in the semi-final

1 loss - you're either #1 or #2

2 losses - outside chance to finish #2 but more likely #3

3 losses - 3rd or 4th, should be able to avoid tie-breaker

4 losses - 4th place but more likely a tie-breaker for 4th

12-01-17 01:52PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

Hey, ML. Will you be in Ottawa for the Trials?

12-01-17 05:30PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by ott-am
Hey, ML. Will you be in Ottawa for the Trials?

Would have loved to. In the old days I'd have arranged sponsored coverage of the trials on a small network of Saskatchewan, Alberta & Manitoba small-town radio stations - then would have provided play-by-play with a cadre of guest color commentators. It would have cost me nothing and perhaps made a few rubles - but now I'd have to spring about 2 grand for hotel, air & event pass.
Still think there's a market for small-town radio network for huge curling events - but it won't be me anymore!

12-01-17 05:34PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Here's a view of the trials from The Winnipeg Sun. This one focuses mostly on CC Carey - another one if you can find rates the teams: 1) Homan & Jones as co-favorites, 3) Carey, 4) Sweeting.

Don't know about that - I'd have Homan slightly ahead of Jones, mostly due to the relentless shot-pelting and I'd have Sweeting slightly ahead of Carey.

The logical intruder to this so-called Party of 4 is Kris McCarville. The longshot is Casey Sheidegger.

http://winnipegsun.com/sports/other...his-time-around

12-01-17 07:45PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

TSN picks

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-s-curling-ex...-rings-1.928316

12-02-17 06:54AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Drawmaster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
[B]Bi.

With 9 teams, 8 games per team in the round-robin here's the chances of securing a playoff with various losses:

Just read this in the TSN morning news.
The teams will play an eight game round-robin. The first place team goes directly to the final, while the second and third place teams will play in the semifinal. The winner of that game moves onto the championship game.

12-02-17 07:29AM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

a fair format in my opinion

hard to be top 3 !

12-02-17 09:17AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by albetts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
[B]Bi.

WOW - only 3 teams qualify (other than tie-breaks)
So that makes 1st in round-robin even that much more valuable (no need to play a semi-final)
Other aspect - 4 losses will be at least 1 too many to qualify.
1st - 0, 1 or possibly 2 losses
2nd - 1, 2 or 3 losses
3rd - 2 or 3 losses

Just read this in the TSN morning news.
The teams will play an eight game round-robin. The first place team goes directly to the final, while the second and third place teams will play in the semifinal. The winner of that game moves onto the championship game.

12-02-17 10:51AM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

anyone know what game is highlighted?

or is it a roamer ?

12-02-17 01:40PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
anyone know what game is highlighted?

or is it a roamer ?

Morris VS Jacobs 2:00 pm
EST
Jones Vs Sweeting 7:00 pm
EST

Enjoy

12-02-17 02:29PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Click here to Send Observer a Private Message Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Harvey Hacksmasher

Those coffee cups on the ice look so real I’m half expecting a rock to fall into one.

12-02-17 07:08PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

epping 8
gushue. 4

carruthers 5
mcewan. 3

putting my perfect record on the line ...

12-02-17 07:34PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

a lot of misses = -3

not sure y jj didnt hit the 2 dogs at the back in the 1st end

12-02-17 08:49PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

JJ barfs up a Big 3 steal in end 1 - will spend remainder of game digging out from early hole and learning the ice.

Jones don't know whether to take off soaring or start slow. Appears she's doing the latter!

Too much disbelief on Jones team for my liking!

12-02-17 10:13PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

i kinda like it when those hail mary raises go round the horn and the team that should win does ...

so much luck in curling ...

gushue called a bad end - an easy deuce to win and then has to play 3 40 ft raises and misses them all

ml
meet me at the granite sunday at 9 .. we can pick up a couple of spares and buy someones spot for $100,000

12-02-17 10:39PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Hitting Paint

Before these Trials began I said Carey remains an enigma but should she retain the form that resulted in the Canadian championship, this team could possibly win the whole enchilada.
And so far, @ 90% plus, she's off to an impressive start. Not that she's alone out there: her front end is perhaps the best in Canada. Additionally,Cathy 'O' has been the all-star 3rd in her last three events. (Tz. only wishes.)
One poster incredulously predicted there is no way 'O' could possibly compete with Miskew in her game against Homan. In fact, it would be 'impossible'. Oh boy! Was he ever wrong!! Emma is still wondering what hit her.