Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 4 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-12-17 05:15PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

USA Olympic Trials teams selected

USCA press release

Women’s field:

Team Christensen: Cory Christensen, Sarah Anderson, Taylor Anderson, Jenna Haag

Team Roth: Nina Roth, Tabitha Peterson, Aileen Geving, Becca Hamilton

Team Sinclair: Jamie Sinclair, Alex Carlson, Vicky Persinger, Monica Walker

Men’s field:

Team Brown: Craig Brown, Kroy Nernberger, Jason Smith, Sean Beighton, Quinn Evenson

Team Clark: Brady Clark, Greg Persinger, Colin Hufman, Phil Tilker

Team McCormick: Heath McCormick, Chris Plys, Korey Dropkin, Tom Howell

Team Shuster: John Shuster, Tyler George, Matt Hamilton, John Landsteiner, Joe Polo

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-12-17 07:38PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

It is surprising that there are only three womens' teams to four mens', but there must have been a performance threshold. Nebraska in December. Centrally located. That will be a good event. It is a pretty big venue at 7800... I hope the fans come out in droves.

05-12-17 09:02PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

surprised that they did not include the hpp junior teams. bear for the women and world silver medalist stopera for the men. not complaining, just surprised.

05-14-17 11:21AM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
It is surprising that there are only three womens' teams to four mens', but there must have been a performance threshold. Nebraska in December. Centrally located. That will be a good event. It is a pretty big venue at 7800... I hope the fans come out in droves.

Was hoping for at least 4 women's teams. I heard that the championship final is the best 2 out of 3.

One more thing....it's Nebraska in November. Not the frozen tundra of the great white north but close enough I guess.

Think of Omaha as DEEP SOUTH WINNIPEG (minus the Tim Horton's)

Come join us

Last edited by AK267 on 05-14-17 at 04:21PM

05-14-17 07:06PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Seems like fair selections on both sides. Not sure there can be too many complaints about any deserving teams being left out.

05-14-17 09:25PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Congratulations to all the curlers who earned an invitation to The Trials. While there are many noteworthy and prestigious (thank you, spellcheck) events in the Curling World; the Olympic Trials has to be the goal of any serious playdown contender.

A special congratulations to Team Shuster and Team Clark. Both teams, in their entirety, were on the outside of the HPP and both teams successfully kicked down the door with accomplishments achieved on their own dime. For all curlers outside of the HPP, these are the teams that have shown the way.

Team Birr, Men's silver medalists this year, also had to been given some consideration. Unlike the Brady Bunch, this was a One Year Team. Unlike the Brady Bunch, they didn't a recent gold medal on the resume. I have to think that they needed to win that last gold medal game to become an Omaha team or medaled in a couple of years with that same lineup or raised a little more heck on the almighty Points List.

Another One Year Team was Team Cassie Potter. I'd really like to see a field of four Women's teams in Omaha (better draw, build depth, get another chance for Cassie on the World stage, etc...), but they didn't even make the Finals in Seattle; so I have very little to argue about with their exclusion. Now short a player (Steph is expecting a child I'm told...again, congratulations), I think they could have added a shooter and been a real factor; but as the criteria sets up these days we will never know.

It seems early to making picks, but the NFL fans seem to make their picks starting the day after the Super Bowl. I suppose one could make picks and then change them as weekly results come in. I don't know. Just seems early.

Ben Tucker

05-15-17 09:36AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i agree with the posters on here who said it would have been nice to see a 4th women's team.

women's event is totally wide open. roth is probably the slight favorite but it wouldnt surprise me to see any of them get through.

shuster is the favorite though on the mens side. clark is the kind of guy who can get hot and win events on his own but with the field here he will need support . they can win it though

id rate the mens teams odds of winning like this:

1. shuster
2. clark
3. brown
4. mccormick

05-15-17 05:17PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

So the event is advertised as 8 days.

You are going from 4 mens teams to 2 and 3 women's teams to 2...and then Championship finals on both sides.

Even if you do a full double round robin and then a best of three championship....how are you filling 8 days?

you need 9 draws to play the full thing (assuming you are going to play 3 sheets at a time, 2 mens and one womens...if not...you're really going to sell full tickets to single game draws? Lord, I hope none of them are 12-0 shellackings....

I'm not seeing how this realistically works enough to justify travelling in for 8 days to watch the event, I'm seeing too much downtime.

What am I missing?

05-15-17 06:12PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
So the event is advertised as 8 days.

I'm not seeing how this realistically works enough to justify travelling in for 8 days to watch the event, I'm seeing too much downtime.

What am I missing?

GREAT question. Hope USCA responds soon so folks can make their travel and hotel arrangments. Sounds like a really exciting week.

05-15-17 06:14PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

It sounds like an exciting 4 days...maybe 5....

And that *may* be the answer, the advertised dates include the practice day and/or opening ceremonies, and the playoffs are dragged out via one game per day or something of that nature.

ANd that's fine, if that's the plan...but we need to see the plan so we can plan accordingly.

05-15-17 06:33PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Sometimes sarcasm is hard to read. My plans are made. No way I travel to watch a 4-team and a 3-team tourney

05-15-17 09:38PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

quote:
It sounds like an exciting 4 days...maybe 5....

And that *may* be the answer, the advertised dates include the practice day and/or opening ceremonies, and the playoffs are dragged out via one game per day or something of that nature.

ANd that's fine, if that's the plan...but we need to see the plan so we can plan accordingly.

============================================

I'm HOPING the USCA/USOC/OSC releases something soon because it's causing a major crimp in promoting this thing...other than some press releases I've seen no real advertising or social media.

Your concerns are noted. If I were an out-of-towner, plunking down my coins for this, I'd like to know what I'm getting. Personally, this small format seems cheap from a spectator viewpoint. But you have to remember, most who will view this are locals and don't know about the inner workings of selection boards or formats. They're there to watch an "Olympic" event.

From what I've heard, and take with a grain of salt as this is off hand info.

Nov 10-11 open houses and learn to curls

Nov 11 USOC Winterfest with active displays and opening ceremonies

Nov 12-18 Trials

I'm not sure at this time what else they are offering other than club run events (open houses/learn to curl) and the USOC displays.

They better have a dedicated website and Facebook site for this....even the locals will want more info.

05-15-17 11:45PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

My guess is that the 8as in case they took 5 and 5 so the time was blocked off. Now they they have taken 3 and 4, I will assume they adjust the schedule accordingly.

05-16-17 12:56AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Does the winner actually get to go to the Olympics????

05-16-17 10:55AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Yes, guido. The teams that emerge from this trial will be our Olympic Team.

The HPP has already stacked the deck via the selection criteria, so they do not need to stack the selection coming out of the event, they can claim the glory from any of the 7 teams who emerge victorious...so they can protect their phony baloney jobs (to quote a marvelous movie from too many years ago).

05-16-17 03:31PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Yes, guido. The teams that emerge from this trial will be our Olympic Team.

The HPP has already stacked the deck via the selection criteria, so they do not need to stack the selection coming out of the event, they can claim the glory from any of the 7 teams who emerge victorious...so they can protect their phony baloney jobs (to quote a marvelous movie from too many years ago).

"Harrumpphh"!

05-19-17 12:49AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:

If by stacked teh deck you mean they laid out clear guidelines, and followed through with those guidelines, and ultimately picked the teams the have performed the best, then yes, the deck was stacked, heaven forbid

05-22-17 03:49PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

clear guidelines? Sure...I guess...

There were two ways into this trials:

1. Top 5 placing at Worlds this year. There is, by definition, only one team per gender that is capable of meeting this bar, the team that is Team USA. I'll grant you that it's a clear path, but it isn't a wide one.

2. HPP Selection. They could choose from 2-4 other teams per gender. With no guidelines or requirements given to guide that. Shockingly, all of the teams selected just happened to already exist in the HPP.

Given that qualifying for Nationals and becoming Team USA for Worlds is a deck stacked against any Non-HPP Team (because it's a point race, with the HPP teams given a financial head start towards entering events that give large point totals, not to mention preferential treatment at being wildcarded entries into events that award points), and that the selection to the HPP is done in secret (hell, notice the grief given to someone for just posting the list of those trying out), I daresay that it is a process that is neither clear nor transparent.

You will, of course, disagree, since you would disagree with me if I claimed this sky was blue and the sun bright.

05-22-17 05:41PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

I looked outside and the sky is gray, not blue, and it is falling. It's middle of the day and the sun is not visible, so it must not be bright, and may not even exist anymore. So obviously you can't be trusted about the path to the Olympic trials, but that's a moot point anyway, because the sky is falling, the sun is gone, and we are all doomed.

05-22-17 06:53PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Actually team Brady Clark is not part of the HPP.

06-01-17 11:39AM
AK267
Super Rockchucker

I'd heard a rumor that one of the Trials teams is protesting the schedule and start times. This is throwing a wrench on finalizing the schedule.

Anyone heard about this?

07-07-17 03:26AM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Team Birr lawyer's letter

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1...XZUcmZwQzA/view

On-ice results matter more than any off-ice decision made in secret by people in a warm room. Team Birr has earned on-ice that fifth slot to the USA 2017 Olympic Trials. I have yet to read an articulable reason from USCA's HP program to justify having a men's trials with just 4 teams.

07-07-17 09:27PM
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Re: Team Birr lawyer's letter

quote:
Originally posted by Alice

On-ice results matter more than any off-ice decision made in secret by people in a warm room. Team Birr has earned on-ice that fifth slot to the USA 2017 Olympic Trials. I have yet to read an articulable reason from USCA's HP program to justify having a men's trials with just 4 teams.

I was hoping for a fourth women's team as well...only three???

07-08-17 07:55AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Re: Team Birr lawyer's letter

quote:
Originally posted by Alice

Justification? The HPP can pick and choose who they want, simple as that. Let's call a spade a spade. They set the "auto-bid" criteria so high that only 1 team qualifies from that and the rest discretionary picks? That qualifying via an automatic bid should be the norm, not the exception.

07-08-17 08:30PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
clear guidelines? Sure...I guess...

There were two ways into this trials:

1. Top 5 placing at Worlds this year. There is, by definition, only one team per gender that is capable of meeting this bar, the team that is Team USA. I'll grant you that it's a clear path, but it isn't a wide one.

2. HPP Selection. They could choose from 2-4 other teams per gender. With no guidelines or requirements given to guide that. Shockingly, all of the teams selected just happened to already exist in the HPP.

Given that qualifying for Nationals and becoming Team USA for Worlds is a deck stacked against any Non-HPP Team (because it's a point race, with the HPP teams given a financial head start towards entering events that give large point totals, not to mention preferential treatment at being wildcarded entries into events that award points), and that the selection to the HPP is done in secret (hell, notice the grief given to someone for just posting the list of those trying out), I daresay that it is a process that is neither clear nor transparent.

You will, of course, disagree, since you would disagree with me if I claimed this sky was blue and the sun bright.

The fundamental error in the selection criteria is that other than finishing 5th or better at worlds (which gets you at most one team selected) the selection criteria are not objective. There are "factors" that will be considered for discretionary selection, but apparently those factors are not applied in an objective way or defined in advance. The lack of transparency and objectivity leaves the USCA open to potential litigation, which may yet occur. Why not establish in advance (like Canada) completely objective criteria for a fixed number of teams to play down? If a competitive team can't emerge from a well-structured domestic competition, one shouldn't have to worry much about how we fare at the Olympic level. There are lots of ways this could have been structured objectively and transparently. You just have to be prepared to live with the results--something that seems to be the apparent sticking point.