Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-01-17 06:24PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Squiggsy
Since the direct berths into the pre-trials were all won by teams that qualified directly to the ROTR, the first 10 teams are the top 10 teams on the 2016-17 CTRS, not already in the trials.

Before adjustments, they are:
1. Morris
2. Bottcher
3. Thomas
4. Howard
5. Dunstone
6. Gunnlaugson
7. Balsdon
8. Casey
9. Korte
10 Deruelle

Dunstone left his team to join Laycock. Jason Gunnlaugson has left his team, and take over Dunstone's team, so #5 actually becomes Dunstone. Pat Simmons has taken over Jason's team, so #6 is now Simmons.

Spots 11 & 12 go to two year CTRS points leaders, not already qualified. They are:
1. Lyburn
2. Bice

Unless teams reorganize, the 12 teams at pre-trials should be:

1. Morris
2. Bottcher
3. Thomas
4. Howard
5. Gunnlaugson
6. Simmons
7. Balsdon
8. Casey
9. Korte
10 Deruelle
11. Lyburn
12. Bice

You're wrong. Just read highest ranked team not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials.

http://www.curling.ca/blog/2015/05/...rings-unveiled/

1. Winners 2014 Home Hardware Canada Cup (Now top 2016-17 not yet qualified): Morris
2. Highest ranked team on the 2014–15 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials : Bottcher (Howard is higher, but changed team in the process)
3. Highest ranked team on the 2015–16 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Howard
4. Highest ranked team on the 2015–16 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Thomas
5. Highest ranked team on the 2015–16 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Lyburn (Meachem is higher but has a new team)
6. Highest ranked team on the 2015–16 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Menard
7. Highest ranked team on the 2016–17 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Gunnlaugson (formerly known as team Dunstone)
8. Highest ranked team on the 2016–17 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Simmons (formerly known as team Gunnlaugson)
9. Highest ranked team on the 2016–17 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Balsdon
10. Highest ranked team on the 2016–17 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Casey
11. Highest ranked team on the 2015–17 (two years) CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Lyburn
12. Highest ranked team on the 2015–17 (two years) CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Bice

I think Korte would have qualified had hteir team stayed together but they didn't.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-01-17 09:43PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by UnattachedFC

You're wrong. Just read highest ranked team not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials.

I think I see where I made my mistake. From here: http://www.curling.ca/team-canada/2...cation-process/

The Curling Canada site slotted in McEwen, Jacobs, Koe, Gushue, McEwen, Carruthers into spots 1-6 for the pre-trials. They said that should a team win more than one berth, or already have qualified, then it goes to the 2016-17 CTRS ranking. I looked and saw that the names were already in there, that they go to this year's rankings. I missed the line where it says not already qualified. I'm not sure why Curling Canada has their names in those slots. I would have thought Curling Canada would have published these in an easy to see, readily accessible format for the public, but I guess not. Many in the media didn't even know Carey had the women's two year spot, because it wasn't that clear to them. Thanks for the clarification.

05-02-17 11:06PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Does anyone have the definitive answer or just speculation?

Who is OFFICIALLY in the trials and pretrials?

05-03-17 01:42AM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Does anyone have the definitive answer or just speculation?

Who is OFFICIALLY in the trials and pretrials?

The names I've put are the teams that would be in as it stands and if the teams stay together (at least 3 out of the 4 members) It's not official until Curling Canada announces it next week.

For the trials. The first 7 teams have been named: Carruthers, Epping, Gushue, Jacobs, Koe, Laycock and McEwen for the men. Carey, Englot, Flaxey Homan, Jones, Scheidegger Sweeting for the women.

http://www.curling.ca/blog/2017/05/...ings-in-ottawa/

Curling Canada was supposed to name the next 12 teams today. They haven't, but I fully expect to name them by the end of the week.

05-04-17 10:15PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Do we "assume" if any of the teams break up or have less than 3 between now and the pre-trials, that the next qualified team then qualifies?

05-05-17 11:54AM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Do we "assume" if any of the teams break up or have less than 3 between now and the pre-trials, that the next qualified team then qualifies?

Probably. I'm guessing it is taking longer than expected to announce who is going to Summerside because Curling Canada wants a commitment from all the teams that accept an invitation. Idle speculation on my part.

05-05-17 03:12PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

http://www.curling.ca/blog/2017/05/...rials-unveiled/

Greg Balsdon, Kingston, Ont.
Brendan Bottcher, Edmonton
Adam Casey, Charlottetown/Regina
Dayna Deruelle, Brampton, Ont.
Matt Dunstone, Winnipeg
Jason Gunnlaugson, Winnipeg
Glenn Howard, Penetanguishene, Ont.
Bruce Korte, Saskatoon
William Lyburn, Winnipeg
Jean-Michel Ménard, Gatineau, Que.
John Morris, Kelowna/Vernon, B.C.
Charley Thomas, Calgary

05-05-17 06:12PM
Lebowski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lebowski Find more posts by Lebowski Add Lebowski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lebowski
Knee-Slider

Looks like Curling Canada forget about Team Bice. Menard could only get a 2 year spot and Bice was ahead of them 241 to 238. What gives?

05-05-17 06:49PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by UnattachedFC

http://www.curling.ca/blog/2015/05/...rings-unveiled/

1. Winners 2014 Home Hardware Canada Cup (Now top 2016-17 not yet qualified): Morris
2. Highest ranked team on the 2014–15 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials : Bottcher (Howard is higher, but changed team in the process)
3. Highest ranked team on the 2015–16 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Howard
4. Highest ranked team on the 2015–16 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Thomas
5. Highest ranked team on the 2015–16 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Lyburn (Meachem is higher but has a new team)
6. Highest ranked team on the 2015–16 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Menard
7. Highest ranked team on the 2016–17 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Gunnlaugson (formerly known as team Dunstone)
8. Highest ranked team on the 2016–17 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Simmons (formerly known as team Gunnlaugson)
9. Highest ranked team on the 2016–17 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Balsdon
10. Highest ranked team on the 2016–17 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Casey
11. Highest ranked team on the 2015–17 (two years) CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Lyburn
12. Highest ranked team on the 2015–17 (two years) CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Bice

I think Korte would have qualified had hteir team stayed together but they didn't.

It looks like I wasn't wrong, or "spreading misinformation". They just went straight to the 2016-17 list for slots 1-10. http://www.curling.ca/team-canada/2...cation-process/ My list was correct for spots 1-11. Spot 12 is a mystery to me.

What I think Curling Canada means by "highest ranked team not already qualified for Trial or Pre-Trials" is a team that didn't get a direct berth for winning a specific event. This would be spots 1-4 for the ROTR, and spot 1 for the RTTR. That takes out Koe, Carruthers, and Gushue for the men. The men listed as spots 2-10 for the RTTR are Jacobs, McEwen, Epping and Laycock, all of which are listed multiple times. These are the teams listed at 4-7 for the ROTR, as they got berths handed to them for non-specific events. I believe Gushue would have been on this list as well if he hadn't beat Koe in the final of the 2017 Brier. Although he gets spot #2 in the ROTR, he still won a direct berth. The direct berth doesn't matter for ROTR, as he already got spot #2, but it matters for slotting in spots 1-10 in RTTR.

I still have no idea how Menard gets spot #12 over Bice, unless Bice turned it down.

05-05-17 07:18PM
Three
Swing Artist

Hey Squiggsy, pretty sure you can get very close to the 'right' answer using the 'wrong ' formula because let's face it the CTRS points leaders from two years ago will be very similar to the top of this year's list. I am pretty confident that CurlingCanada did follow their own published rules and did take the highest non-qualified teams from the points list two years ago for those four spots. That is how Menard got in.

05-05-17 09:49PM
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Three
Hey Squiggsy, pretty sure you can get very close to the 'right' answer using the 'wrong ' formula because let's face it the CTRS points leaders from two years ago will be very similar to the top of this year's list. I am pretty confident that CurlingCanada did follow their own published rules and did take the highest non-qualified teams from the points list two years ago for those four spots. That is how Menard got in.

They 100% didn't go to the past lists, which is why my list and UnattachedFC's list are in much different orders. I had Bice, not Menard. He had Menard, not Korte. The rest of the teams are the same, but different orders. Here is the link which shows which team got what spot, and why: http://www.curling.ca/team-canada/2...cation-process/

For spots 1-10 I took the teams that were ranked highest on the 2016-17 CTRS rankings, because that's how I interpreted the rules when I first read them. This is the exact ranking that Curling Canada produced. UnattachedFC went through and put them in slots 1-10 (I'll get to 11 & 12 in a minute)using the stated criteria, and all ROTR teams excluded. I still think I'm right based on this from Curling Canada "On May 2, 2017, we will identify the 12 teams in the order shown above. Should a team earn more than one berth or, has already qualified for the Trials (or Pre-Trials), we will immediately go to the 2016-17 CTRS for a replacement team." For example, number 3 is McEwen, who already qualified for the Trials. This means it goes to the 2016-17 spot, who is Thomas. If you went by the 2015-16 rankings, it's Howard. The same for slot 4. I had it as Howard, who is next on the 2016-17 CTRS. UnattachedFC had it as Lyburn.

The only slots that don't go to a replacement are slots 11 and 12 which are the 2 year slots. They keep going down the two year slots until they find another team, and they ignore the 2016-17 only list. This is how Chelsea Carey got in for the ROTR women's event, when most people said she wouldn't. These spots went to Lyburn and Menard. Lyburn gets in because he has 265.709 points. I thought Bice would get in, but as shown below, he doesn't.

I figured out how Menard gets in. Menard and Bice are in a virtual tie, separated by 3.381 points. Gushue has 520.533 points, so 1% of that is 5.205 points. The only event in 2016-17 that Menard and Bice both played in is the Challenge de Curling de Gatineau. They did not play each other, so it goes to tiebreaker part two. Menard had 4 wins at this event, and Bice only had 2 wins. Menard wins the tiebreaker, and gets the last spot.

I have no idea why Curling Canada couldn't just make a simple spreadsheet and show who got into each spot, and the points for it. It would save a lot of confusion. Just putting Menard in over Bice and giving zero explanation to the millions of curling fans is a terrible idea.

Last edited by Squiggsy on 05-05-17 at 09:53PM

05-06-17 01:59AM
Lebowski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lebowski Find more posts by Lebowski Add Lebowski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lebowski
Knee-Slider

quote:
I figured out how Menard gets in. Menard and Bice are in a virtual tie, separated by 3.381 points. Gushue has 520.533 points, so 1% of that is 5.205 points. The only event in 2016-17 that Menard and Bice both played in is the Challenge de Curling de Gatineau. They did not play each other, so it goes to tiebreaker part two. Menard had 4 wins at this event, and Bice only had 2 wins. Menard wins the tiebreaker, and gets the last spot.

I have no idea why Curling Canada couldn't just make a simple spreadsheet and show who got into each spot, and the points for it. It would save a lot of confusion. Just putting Menard in over Bice and giving zero explanation to the millions of curling fans is a terrible idea.

Menard and Bice both played in the Tier 2 Grand Slam event where Bice made the playoffs and Menard did not. Bice and Menard also both played the 2015 Gatineau event where Bice made the final going 6-1 and Menard was 4-3 and didn't qualify.

How do those not count if this is for a 2-year berth, shouldn't all events over the 2 years count?

05-07-17 10:43PM
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Lebowski

Menard and Bice both played in the Tier 2 Grand Slam event where Bice made the playoffs and Menard did not. Bice and Menard also both played the 2015 Gatineau event where Bice made the final going 6-1 and Menard was 4-3 and didn't qualify.

How do those not count if this is for a 2-year berth, shouldn't all events over the 2 years count?

The tiebreaker scenario only covers events played in the current season, and only the 8 claimed events. Menard played in 9 events in 2016-17 that had CTRS points. He drops his worst event, which is the Tier 2 Challenge. Since that isn't one of his 8 claimed events, it isn't entered into the tiebreaking scenario. Even though the spot they were both going for is a 2 year spot, the tie breaker only looks at the most recent year.

05-09-17 01:25PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

Pretty weak field for the pre-trials, some teams I've never heard before.

05-21-17 09:57PM
StartingSeven is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StartingSeven Click here to Send StartingSeven a Private Message Find more posts by StartingSeven Add StartingSeven to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StartingSeven
Knee-Slider

I know I’m late to the party here, but I guess Squiggsy is correct, even though I interpreted it the same way UnattachedFC did. These spots for the pre-trials just went straight to 2016-2017 lists. I would have to say the clarification on all of this is quite terrible.

2 years ago when they sent this all out the wording for spots #3-6 of the pre-trials was “Highest ranked team on the 2015-2016 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials.” I interpreted that as “Pick the next highest team on the 2015-2016 list, that didn’t make the Trials or get spots #1 or #2 of the Pre-Trials.”

Instead, they follow the formula of:
a) List the Canada Cup winners, Brier winners and CTRS leaders for the trials
b) Assign all of the Pre-trials spots without considering multiple qualifications
c) Replace any duplicate teams with the next 2016-2017 CTRS spot

By the way, I’m a fan of Team Bice, and had previously thought they were a lock for the pre-trials. So if it sounds like I’m bitter, I’m actually super annoyed.

I’m fine with the way they gave out the spots, I just wish that they had explicitly listed the “order of operations” they were going to use. If they did my hopes wouldn’t have been dashed for what I regard as sound logic.

And the “cherry on top of this total lack of clarification sundae” is that I had to learn what a virtual tie was. And then I had to learn that Menard beats out Bice for a 2 year spot because 2015-2016 isn’t counted (although that’s never clearly stated), and the event where Bice did better than Menard doesn’t count because Menard managed to get 8 better events in (which is clearly stated but seems unfair.)

05-22-17 08:22PM
Stumpy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stumpy Click here to Send Stumpy a Private Message Find more posts by Stumpy Add Stumpy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stumpy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by StartingSeven
I know I’m late to the party here, but I guess Squiggsy is correct, even though I interpreted it the same way UnattachedFC did. These spots for the pre-trials just went straight to 2016-2017 lists. I would have to say the clarification on all of this is quite terrible.

2 years ago when they sent this all out the wording for spots #3-6 of the pre-trials was “Highest ranked team on the 2015-2016 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials.” I interpreted that as “Pick the next highest team on the 2015-2016 list, that didn’t make the Trials or get spots #1 or #2 of the Pre-Trials.”

Instead, they follow the formula of:
a) List the Canada Cup winners, Brier winners and CTRS leaders for the trials
b) Assign all of the Pre-trials spots without considering multiple qualifications
c) Replace any duplicate teams with the next 2016-2017 CTRS spot

By the way, I’m a fan of Team Bice, and had previously thought they were a lock for the pre-trials. So if it sounds like I’m bitter, I’m actually super annoyed.

I’m fine with the way they gave out the spots, I just wish that they had explicitly listed the “order of operations” they were going to use. If they did my hopes wouldn’t have been dashed for what I regard as sound logic.

And the “cherry on top of this total lack of clarification sundae” is that I had to learn what a virtual tie was. And then I had to learn that Menard beats out Bice for a 2 year spot because 2015-2016 isn’t counted (although that’s never clearly stated), and the event where Bice did better than Menard doesn’t count because Menard managed to get 8 better events in (which is clearly stated but seems unfair.)

I know this is going to sound rude, but I'm going to say it anyway. The goal isn't to be fair. The goal is to select the best team to represent Canada at the Olympics. If the debate is whether you're the 19th or 20th best team in Canada, you aren't a true contender and have no right to fairness. Team Bice has plenty of opportunities to win more games (as did Team Menard and any other team that just missed).

05-31-17 03:57AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner
Pretty weak field for the pre-trials, some teams I've never heard before.

I have to agree with you there...unlike Jacobs in 2013-14, I am not sure any of these teams should they go through to the trials would have a chance of medalling in Korea should they get very lucky and win the trials.

05-31-17 10:59PM
darkwing01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwing01 Click here to Send darkwing01 a Private Message Find more posts by darkwing01 Add darkwing01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
The 7 men's teams for the ROTR have been finalized. They are also the same 7 teams that lead the 2016-17 CTRS. The first number below is the Olympic seed, and the bracketed number is the 2016-17 standing.

1 (6) Koe
2 (1) Gushue
3 (2) Carruthers
4 (3) Jacobs
5 (4) McEwen
6 (5) Epping
7 (7) Laycock

The first number is the spot they filled the second number is the seeding based on their 2016-17 standing. Seeding is not really important as it is a round robin

06-02-17 11:48PM
nickelcity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickelcity Click here to Send nickelcity a Private Message Find more posts by nickelcity Add nickelcity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nickelcity
Harvey Hacksmasher

2 additional berths per gender announced for Pre-Trials to avoid tiebreaking scenarios:

Men - Mark Bice (ON) and Jamie Murphy (NS)
Women - Thompson (BC) and Meilleur (MB) both in, canceling the tiebreaker, Shannon Birchard (MB) also added to the field.

http://mailchi.mp/curling/for-immed...01?e=370156ac39

Last edited by nickelcity on 06-02-17 at 11:53PM

06-03-17 04:58AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

2 more 1 year totals?

Squiggsy you seem to have a handle on this so maybe help explain this for me.
2 more spots awarded for 2016-17 one year totals.

They've done it again awarding spots with no explanations.
If the tie break scenario from above posts is correct than how is it Murphy gets in ahead of Thompson when the highest SOF that they were both apart of was Charlevoix in which Thompson beat Murphy in the 1'4 final and went on to win the spiel. Thompson 31.5616 and Murphy 13.2313 for that spiel. If it's all spiels last year where they each played then add in Lakeshore Thompson won the spiel and Murphy lost in the semi. 16.3618 points Thompson 9.9340 Murphy. Dave Jones spiel Murphy beat Thompson in the final Murphy 25.3042 points, Thompson 19.8033. Jim Sullivan spiel Thompson beat Murphy in the semi and lost the final to Menard. Thompson 10.8443 points, Murphy 7.6548. NS Tankard Murphy beat Thompson in the final Murphy 12.6 points Thompson 9.9

Of the spiels they played together in Thompson total 88.471 and Murphy 68.9794. I'm not sure who did the math or the magic tie break formula but they got it wrong.

2016-17 Thompson has 103.7577 for 7 events and Murphy has 102.0670 for their top 8 events. What gives?

Stuart Thompson

Events this team has played in:
Event Name Points Earned
2016 Lakeshore Curling Club Cashspiel
2016 Bud Light Men's Cashspiel
2016 Challange de Curling de Gatineau
2016 Dave Jones Labatt Mayflower Cash Spiel
2016 Challenge Casino de Charlevoix
2016 WFG Jim Sullivan Curling Classic
2017 Deloitte Tankard
Total: 103.7577

Jamie Murphy

Event Name Points Earned
2016 Lakeshore Curling Club Cashspiel
2016 Challange de Curling de Gatineau
2016 CookstownCash presented by Comco Canada Inc
2016 Dave Jones Labatt Mayflower Cash Spiel
2016 Challenge Casino de Charlevoix
2016 WFG Jim Sullivan Curling Classic 7.6548
2017 Nova Scotia Tankard - Open Qualifier
2017 Deloitte Tankard
2017 Tim Hortons Brier Pre-Qualifier
2017 Tim Hortons Brier Pre-Qualifier 11.9368
Total: 102.0670

Last edited by IN-OFF-FOR-2 on 06-03-17 at 06:21AM

06-04-17 02:08AM
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

Re: 2 more 1 year totals?

quote:
Squiggsy you seem to have a handle on this so maybe help explain this for me.
2 more spots awarded for 2016-17 one year totals.

They've done it again awarding spots with no explanations.

The only explanation, is as you posted, where it's on the 2016-17 CTRS rankings. Based on those, I would have thought it was Bice and Bohn. The gap Bohn has over Thompson is 7.718 points. That's greater than 1% of Gushue's total, so there should be no tiebreaker. Bohn, Thompson, and Menard all have more 2016-17 CTRS points than Murphy. Menard is already in with the two year spot. My only guess right now is that Bohn and Thompson both turned it down, and/or that they don't have three members playing together next season. I see Thompson has a new lead for next season though.

I'm not about to look through all of Thompson's results on worldcurl.com to see if they had three members at all the 2016-17 spiels. It's also very hard on that site right now, as you can't click on teams, members, results, etc. without getting a fatal error. This has been going on for several months.

It's absolutely baffling that Curling Canada doesn't give reasons and calculations for why teams make it and why teams don't. I couldn't imagine the NFL just saying here is a list of teams in the playoffs, without giving reasons. I also couldn't imagine the NFL just adding more teams after a four year period because it's a little confusing. I think they need to hire someone with a basic understanding of logistics and communication.

06-04-17 04:26AM
Hacker77 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hacker77 Click here to Send Hacker77 a Private Message Find more posts by Hacker77 Add Hacker77 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hacker77
Knee-Slider

The spots that were added are based on 16/17 results. Initially there were four of these spots belonging to: balsdon, korte, Casey and Dereulle. By adding two more, the next teams in line by order of 16/17 performance are: Lyburn and Bice. The two year exemption spots then go to Menard and Murphy. Agreed though that explaining this would avoid confusion.

06-04-17 08:18AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

who's on first

Maybe I'm a bit thick but I find this all very confusing. Above posts show Menard had 1 year 2015-16 ctrs spot. He's in, qualified, all set. Why would he be given a different spot other than the one already earned.
These 2 new spots are 1 year 2016-17 only and should have no bearing on any other spots given out.
What would happen if they did give out the 2 new spots causing a recalculation of previous spots earned, causing a team to lose their spot?

06-05-17 04:27AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Talk about watering down the punch- another bone headed move by CC.

06-05-17 09:16PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Talk about watering down the punch- another bone headed move by CC.

I have to agree, this isn't curling camp or a bonspiel...not sure how this helps the teams except avoid having to put on a tiebreaker game somewhere.