Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-14-16 04:43PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Wrong Tucker, Godfather. That's my son, Benjamin Ryan Tucker, and his league team. Little guy drew the button to upset a higher seed (former National Mixed champion and all-round-nice-guy, Rick Tangedahl). The defending champs (my former teammate, Travis Kitchens) also took a loss; so things are looking good for Ryan in his pool just one game into Clubs.

Ben Tucker
Proud Dad

PS I saved the text messages where Mr. Lucky promises to swear that I'm not an a**hole and tells people that I'm pretty. Mr. Lucky can do the Women's betting line. He has a daughter playing on one team and is coaching another team, so this could be interesting.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-14-16 04:50PM
TakeItOut! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TakeItOut! Click here to Send TakeItOut! a Private Message Visit TakeItOut!'s homepage! Find more posts by TakeItOut! Add TakeItOut! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TakeItOut!
Hitting Paint

Congrats!

I was wondering how you were posting and curling. Good to see you on the internet.

01-14-16 05:07PM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

Seems like I used the term " pretty" in reference to you a couple posts ago

Last edited by mr. lucky on 01-14-16 at 05:21PM

01-14-16 05:27PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Now that we all agree that I'm pretty (except for that jerk Mr. Lucky who is working on setting the line for the Women's), back to work.

I do not think this Men's field is particularly deep. I didn't think last year's was, either. That doesn't mean that these teams aren't talented. Just play a lot and turn that talent into powerhouses.

Team Alex Leichter picked up Sax Sather and earned a spot out of the Challenge Round B event. Power-broom at second in Nate Clark. Hallisey at lead.

They played a couple of times on the Ontario circuit. Initial results were really bad, but they became competitive. I saw some hope when they played Bice really tough. On the sub-tour they beat Edin and Stjerne. Then they cashed in Hamilton (The Glendale) and are trending upwards. I think I remember somebody telling me that they rocked a local GNCC event as well.

So here's a team that's paying their dues and on the rise. We know them. Sax won Juniors with Johnson and Men's with Heater. Clark and Hallisey had good Junior careers. Alex is the key. He did time with the HPP. The coaches I talked to were pretty impressed with him. I hear he tested out very well on everything (especially his sweeping, but now he's a skip).

So if you're looking for the Next Big Thing or filling up your superfecta bet with this year's version of 2015 Corbett, this is the team for you.

Ben Tucker (I sat beside Sax Sather at a dinner last spring. Bright and interesting guy.)

01-14-16 05:35PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Speaking of teams paying their dues, Team Corbett hit a half dozen events in Canada again this year. Unlike their breakout year previous, it didn't go near as well. Every weekend saw 1 or 2 wins and not the signature wins they scored the prior season.

Still, they got through the Challenge Round in the B and were a playoff team last year. Another chance at the Big Dance could be better and they made the playoffs last year.

If you're looking for a live longshot, they've proven they can get through the round robin. Then it's just a matter of being hot. They have wins over teams of this caliber in their recent past, so it's not out of the question.

Ben Tucker

01-16-16 09:49AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Every time I pick Pete Fenson to win Nationals, he loses. Every time I pick him to lose Nationals, he wins (except for twice, when Face Shuster defied The Curse Of Tuck).

Pete, off a one year retirement, started the year shooting third for Brown. Then he returned to skipping when the lineup shuffle came midseason. 3/4's of his former self-formed team (Plys taking the place of Shawn "Ski" Rojeski), I was hoping the team would take off. It didn't. Then they brought in former Olympian Jason "Smitty" Smith. That seems to have given them a little spark. Decent runs in Eveleth and Blaine; they are showing real signs of life.

It hasn't been a bad year for Pete. He's cashed in a decent percentage of events since the midseason return to skipping. Just not the results that we've come to expect. Not the results we've expect YET.

Pete has always been a better championship curler than cash curler. The lineup has talent. It's great to see Smitty back on the ice. I believe Smitty will be the only curler at Nationals from either gender that can claim a Home Ice advantage (back from his Florida days just a year or two ago).

Ben Tucker (apologies to Brady Clark and all of the B Bunch...especially Colin Hufman...for putting upon them The Curse Of Tuck; I believe that Face has permanently broken the curse...good luck)

01-19-16 07:20PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Team Craigie Brownie:

Biterbar thinks we should look at this team with their Pete Fenson at vice first half and Kroy at vice second half. He also thinks we should forgive some outings when the transition was occurring. I disagree.

The first half of the year with Pete at third wasn't really all that bad. They cashed at The Shorty and were very close to cashing most every other outing.

Forgiving some outings during a transition phase just is asking too much. Kroy and Craig are a matched pair of old shoes. They've logged enough miles and enough games to easily slip back together.

However, the team is peaking and peaking very impressively. A nice 2nd place check in the US Open (complete with some signature wins over top teams) and an impressive cash in Scotland has this team heading into Jacksonville with a full head of steam.

I simply cannot see them missing the playoffs. That's bad news for the field hoping to make it to Worlds. Team Brown has a 50 point lead on most of them. Keeping Face off the medal stand is a tall order. Keeping Craig off the medal stand is a tall order. Keeping both Face and Craig off the medal stand may be impossible. I'm unsure of how many points will be available in the playoffs (a little help here, Shot Rock Curling), but I'm thinking a 45 point edge may be insurmountable.

Ben Tucker

01-19-16 09:07PM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

According to http://www.teamusa.org/usa-curling/...rocess-updated, points for Nationals will be awarded 110 points for first, 85 for second and 65 for third.

There are points available for the top five men's teams at this weekend's last event before Nationals. Clark, Birr and Fenson need to make up some ground otherwise their only shot will be if Shuster and C. Brown don't medal.

http://www.officialworldcurlingrank...&eventyear=2016

01-25-16 02:55PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I was going to do the math (now that the Phoenix points are in), but math makes my brain hurt.

It looks like the field has to keep Face off the podium if anybody else wants to go to Worlds. It also looks like they have to keep Brownie off the podium.

So am I forced to cheer against Face Team so that the Finals can have more impact for my selfish soul? Is this all about Tuck? How can I cheer against Face Team? They are all really nice guys and really good curlers. They are (obviously) our best hope at World medals. Am I forced to cheer for others?

Yes.

I can't find it in my heart to cheer against them. They got too much goin' on. I'll be glad should they win. I guess I'll be glad even if they make the medals and advance to Worlds.

So here is my position: I hope they win it or get last.

Ben Tucker (Go Brady!)

01-25-16 08:57PM
ref_hater is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ref_hater Click here to Send ref_hater a Private Message Find more posts by ref_hater Add ref_hater to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ref_hater
Harvey Hacksmasher

Shuster and choking

I'm surprised that Shuster hasn't worked with a sport psychologist to fix his choking when facing a draw with the game on the line. This would help him more than any HPP practice or coaching. He looks nervous and acts nervous. It seems to me if he learned some breathing techniques and practiced "game on the line" situations and a consistent pre shot routine, he could convert and reach his full potential. Visualization is helpful. Confidence is contagious, as is lack of confidence. If he looks nervous, he and his team will struggle.

If this isn't fixed, he will again choke with games on the line, and we will all be left scratching our heads. I truly hope he fixes it.

01-25-16 09:10PM
ref_hater is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ref_hater Click here to Send ref_hater a Private Message Find more posts by ref_hater Add ref_hater to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ref_hater
Harvey Hacksmasher

Brady

After watching Brady Clark curl many times, I am convinced he does not call a good game from a strategy perspective. His team is VERY good, and he does not capitalize when his TEAM is better than his opponent. No matter who he is curling against, it always seems like he calls strategy which quickly paints himself into the need to make a hero shot. It worked for him a few years ago when he was curling 95+%. But now that his percentage has dropped, his strategy has not caught up to adjust. He plays over complicated strategy all game long instead of saving that for needed end of game situations.

I think if he kept it simple for 6 ends of a 10 end game, he would find other teams make mistakes and he would have bigger leads late in games against marginal teams. If he is able to do this, he will easily make the playoffs in Jacksonville. If not, he will struggle to play hero and lose a number of games that he shouldn't, and likely miss the playoffs.

I am cheering for TEAM Brady Clark to be successful at Nationals!

01-25-16 10:07PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Re: Shuster and choking

quote:
Originally posted by ref_hater
I'm surprised that Shuster hasn't worked with a sport psychologist to fix his choking when facing a draw with the game on the line. This would help him more than any HPP practice or coaching. He looks nervous and acts nervous. It seems to me if he learned some breathing techniques and practiced "game on the line" situations and a consistent pre shot routine, he could convert and reach his full potential. Visualization is helpful. Confidence is contagious, as is lack of confidence. If he looks nervous, he and his team will struggle.

If this isn't fixed, he will again choke with games on the line, and we will all be left scratching our heads. I truly hope he fixes it.

John Shuster made a clutch draw last year in the Page1v2 game against Craig Brown en-route to winning the National Championship. He's been working on this part of the game and has been showing improvement as their results continue to improve.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

01-25-16 10:39PM
ref_hater
Harvey Hacksmasher

Shyster choking

Glad you found a reference of Shuster making a draw late in a game. Do I need to list the dozens of high pressure missed shots? I guess I will just state one: the draw against Kauste at worlds last year in the final end where he looked like he couldn't breath at all... I really am serious about the fact that he doesn't seem to understand the power of a deep breath, and portraying confidence. Even if he lacks confidence, act it out. Make it appear as though he is in complete control. It becomes contagious.

01-25-16 10:53PM
SkipsWhoSayNi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SkipsWhoSayNi Find more posts by SkipsWhoSayNi Add SkipsWhoSayNi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SkipsWhoSayNi
Harvey Hacksmasher

Once you rise to the level of Schuster, then you can flap your gums. Till then, get lost hater.

01-25-16 11:15PM
ref_hater
Harvey Hacksmasher

Shuster

Wow, you are the hater... Why such venom for a fair and much deserved criticism of the best men's curler in the USA that has yet to reach his full potential? I see it, don't you?

Last I knew, this is a forum, for discussion. Leave the personal attacks out of it. My posts were entirely professional and entirely valid. If you disagree, then why do you disagree!

The fact is he has a long storied history of choking under pressure, and I really hope he is getting the real support and mentoring he needs to reach his full potential to make shots with games on the line against elite competition.

I have not seen him try even the most rudimentary approaches to be successful in pressure packed game situations. Like taking a deep breath. Simple, right, or is it not?

01-25-16 11:24PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Care to sign your name to these posts criticizing some of the top players in the country? Or would you prefer to stay safe behind the anonymity of the internet?

-Sean Murray (Angry Bird)

01-25-16 11:37PM
ref_hater
Harvey Hacksmasher

Since when is this discussion about who I am? I am a wanna be competitive curler who started a little late in life to ever reach elite levels. That said, I am a skip who thrives in pressure situations. I watch curling as much as possible and dabble in competitive events, and have beaten you before, Sean. But my weaknesses are many... Including a blunt style of communication and calling it like it is.

Don't you think our top curlers should admit their weaknesses and be working to improve them?

People get so offended when a weakness is pointed out of our top elite curlers, why is that? If they are not working on it, then they will never succeed on a global level.

01-25-16 11:53PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

So the answer is yes, you do want to stay anonymous. Fair enough. Don't expect anyone to take your remarks seriously though, regardless of accuracy.

And you've beaten me?? Hurrah! Congrats! I'll give you a nice cookie or something for that.

I leave you now to your safe pillow of electronic anonymity. Feel free to keep on slinging barbs; I have popcorn. No, you can't have any. You're already getting a cookie.

01-26-16 12:05AM
ref_hater
Harvey Hacksmasher

Sounds good, I'll bring you popcorn the next time we cross paths, if ever.

I really think my points are valid and don't see why you feel they are barbs. I really want Shuster to win gold at world competitions and believe he can do it. I'm sure he probably recognizes his opportunities and possibly already has worked with a sports psychologist, but I have no idea other than to say that there isn't one on payroll with the HPP. I view his performance under pressure as the only thing he has yet to overcome to win at the global level. What do you think he needs to work on?

What do you think the HPP thinks he needs to work on?

01-26-16 12:32AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by SPMFromPCC
So the answer is yes, you do want to stay anonymous. Fair enough. Don't expect anyone to take your remarks seriously though, regardless of accuracy.

And you've beaten me?? Hurrah! Congrats! I'll give you a nice cookie or something for that.

I leave you now to your safe pillow of electronic anonymity. Feel free to keep on slinging barbs; I have popcorn. No, you can't have any. You're already getting a cookie.

I don't see ref_hater's comments as "slinging barbs". I've been at many a curling clubs talking about how Shuster has "choked" before (maybe the term 'choked' is too harsh. I'm not sure of a better term. 'Failing to seal the deal?'). Last shot on one of the draws of the Continental Cup flashed (it was a small scoring area, sure, but there are other instances). He's good, no one is doubting that, and he's probably the best the US has currently based on current results. But there does seem to be an issue with "sealing the deal" (is that less 'barb'-like?)

Last edited by IMWright on 01-26-16 at 12:43AM

01-26-16 08:45AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Uff da! I guess we're a real sport now. Curlers may need to avoid these threads like an NFL quarterback avoids sports talk radio.

Face is not a choker. I don't dispute your right to voice your opinion in an open forum. I simply disagree with your opinion.

It is impossible to rack up that many National titles and be a choker. It is impossible to have back-to-back years on the WCT while being a choker. Too many hammers need to be made. Too many times does a skip have to rescue an end in the middle of games. It is simply not possible.

When they invented the Olympic Qualifying Event, a new type of pressure was born. There you get to fight for your country's ability to even be in the Olympics. When Face, Ike, Zez and Lands won, there was only relief on their faces.

I'm known around town as an avid curling fan who was once an avid curler, so I get this all the time. Casual curling fans wonder about John's ability to make the big shot because some of his misses are very memorable. Well, some of Kevin Martin's misses were extremely memorable. Was The Old Bear a choker? Of course not.

Ben Tucker

01-26-16 09:05AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Now we should be able to figure out who Ref Hater is with ease.

He once beat SPM. There can't be that many curlers who have done that. Oops. Wait. Maybe there are a few. Let me check.

OK, I'm back. Did some research. It appears that almost everybody has beaten The Punk at least once.

(Sorry, Sean, I couldn't resist. If it's any consolation, the list of curlers who have beaten me at least once is extremely long. It includes women, children and some extremely old men.)

Did y'all notice that I replied to Ref Hater without saying, "Bite me, a-hole"? Are you proud of me? It's because we are growing. Yes, competitive curlers, their friends and their families do read these threads; but we are inching towards being a popular sport and this comes with the territory. Plus, his points were not devoid of logic and his view is held by others. They are wrong, but he's not alone.

Soon we will get to the level of curlingzone's Canadian threads where young ladies (Homan) are bashed and trashed because of their mortal sin: They don't smile enough.

Stopping blunt honesty isn't going to happen. Insisting on politeness equal to speaking to one's grandmother isn't going to continue. The answer to bluntness that borders on rudeness is to answer with facts and truth and a depth of knowledge.

To family and friends of Face and other curlers: This is the new reality. You want your fanbase to grow. You want that very much This is a consequence. Whatever you do, resist the urge to reply personally.

Ref Hater, unlike larger sports, curling fans have incredible memories. The next clutch shot that Face makes, you'll hear about it. If he brings home a World medal (and I love his chances), you might want to change your user name.

Ben Tucker (can't remember ever playing SPM or beating him)

01-26-16 09:14AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by tuck

He once beat SPM. There can't be that many curlers who have done that. Oops. Wait. Maybe there are a few. Let me check.

OK, I'm back. Did some research. It appears that almost everybody has beaten The Punk at least once.

Hope you are not saying that SPM is a choke artist?

If Shuster were a choke artist, then that term must define all the top USA curlers who have not been able to beat Shuster in recent years. Why does John just keep on winning? Got to be that his foes are just choke artists. Or maybe Shuster and his mates are just a good team.

Last edited by dbsdbs on 01-26-16 at 10:40AM

01-26-16 11:00AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

It is impossible to overstate the new heights of pressure created by that Olympic Qualifying Event. Face and the boys took a couple of loses early and had to run the table. Not much joy was seen in the win. Simply relief.

It is equally impossible to stem the increasing passion and blunt honesty these threads will see as the sport and its fanbase grow. I would argue that it can be a very good thing. It is how we reply that will ultimately determine the civility of the discussions we will have in the future.

Face is not a choker. I'm absolutely certain of it. To be truthful, very few skips are chokers. They wouldn't be skipping. They'd be throwing third. True skips look forward to that game-winning shot. They crave it. This I know from lots of experience. They crave it. I sure did once upon a time.

As for my pick, Brady, and his style of game: Valid points. He can, step by step, dig himself a hole. It comes from his confidence. That style might cost him on days when he's not brilliant, but it also means that he's beaten many Top 20 teams this year. It's an extremely impressive list:

Laycock, Epping, Ulsrud, Simmons/Morris, Shuster, Murdoch, Michel, De Cruz and Cotter. Dang.

Does that mean that we aren't allowed to question his style? Heck no! It's fun. It simply means that we need to look deeply because they got something going on there. They also have some epic losses.

Ben Tucker

01-26-16 11:19AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
It is impossible to overstate the new heights of pressure created by that Olympic Qualifying Event. Face and the boys took a couple of loses early and had to run the table. Not much joy was seen in the win. Simply relief.

It is equally impossible to stem the increasing passion and blunt honesty these threads will see as the sport and its fanbase grow. I would argue that it can be a very good thing. It is how we reply that will ultimately determine the civility of the discussions we will have in the future.

Face is not a choker. I'm absolutely certain of it. To be truthful, very few skips are chokers. They wouldn't be skipping. They'd be throwing third. True skips look forward to that game-winning shot. They crave it. This I know from lots of experience. They crave it. I sure did once upon a time.

As for my pick, Brady, and his style of game: Valid points. He can, step by step, dig himself a hole. It comes from his confidence. That style might cost him on days when he's not brilliant, but it also means that he's beaten many Top 20 teams this year. It's an extremely impressive list:

Laycock, Epping, Ulsrud, Simmons/Morris, Shuster, Murdoch, Michel, De Cruz and Cotter. Dang.

Does that mean that we aren't allowed to question his style? Heck no! It's fun. It simply means that we need to look deeply because they got something going on there. They also have some epic losses.

Ben Tucker

Watch ESPN, and they analyze football teams 24/7. Curling is my football. So to analyze and have conversations about the elite level (closest thing we have to professional curling), to me, is an equivalent. Yes, the salary of a football player is not that of a curler, so does the salary of a football player allow one to analyze and discuss and not that of an elite level curler? I feel it shouldn't. Mainly because I don't watch football/basketball, so curling is all I got.

Has Shuster improved from the poor showings at the Olympics? It appears so. For me, whenever I see Rachel Homan or Jennifer Jones or Kevin Koe or Glenn Howard have to throw to the four foot for a final draw, I'm a lot less tense than when I have to see Shuster having to do the same thing (I'm always holding my breath). Maybe I'm irrational when I do that, but that's how I feel. And you're right, you can't be a good skip if you choke all the time; I don't think Shuster does that (like you said, he wouldn't be a skip if he did). But at that elite level, a small difference in that ability/skill/"sealing the deal" is probably a lot more noticeable when you're comparing skips, hence, why this discussion exists today.

(Hoping this isn't perceived as slinging mud or barbs),
-I.M. Wright