Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
ProCurlingWear - Look & Play Like a Pro
Learn is at School of Survival
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
hollywood19
Knee-Slider

Team Morris

Team Morris

Great tean win for Morris. Good too see a Calgary guy doing well again.

On Saterday's broadcast they listed Morris as living in Chestermere? I thought he had moved to B.C.? I also heard that he is playing in the B.C. playdowns? How can this be?

Can someone play clear this up for me.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-11-13 12:34PM
hollywood19 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hollywood19 Find more posts by hollywood19 Add hollywood19 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

He is playing third for team Cotter

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

Old Post 11-11-13 01:23PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDR
Hitting Paint

Is Jason Gunnlaugson going to be their alternate at the Trials in Winnipeg?

Old Post 11-11-13 01:57PM
TDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TDR Click here to Send TDR a Private Message Find more posts by TDR Add TDR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

John was allowed a one year exemption to play in BC because he had "part-time employment" in Victoria. He is still living and firefighting in Chestermere.

I'll allow you to read into that what you will.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.84.228.101

Old Post 11-11-13 02:31PM
peelplus
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
John was allowed a one year exemption to play in BC because he had "part-time employment" in Victoria. He is still living and firefighting in Chestermere.

After Curlbc secretly approved this I'm told they posted a form on their website for anyone else that wanted to do the same. Seems a little fishy considering teams had already formed so a little late to bring someone in from another province for everyone not named Cotter. I don't think it's too crazy to think that Curlbc was going to approve this all along and posted the form on their website after the fact to cover themselves under the guise "it's the same for everyone."

I hope the folks at Curlbc are taking appropriate CYA measures like getting John's record of employment and tax records so that if someone decides to challenge them in court they can prove that he actually worked regularly in BC, which somehow in their eyes makes him a resident.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Johnny Mo fan and always will be, but I can't agree with him playing out of BC for the playdowns when he lives in Alberta. I also think I share the same feelings as most people in BC.

Old Post 11-11-13 03:49PM
peelplus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peelplus Click here to Send peelplus a Private Message Find more posts by peelplus Add peelplus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Johnny Mo and have broom will travel

I agree, JM is a great player and Cotter's team deserves a chance. That chance is Johnny Mo. Koe has Pat Simmons, who lives in Alberta/Saskatchewan, he even still had his practice in Sask (has that changed this year? Where does his wife live? kids go to school?) Fry has jumped around too, but has always lived and worked in his new home town, along with many others. Teams will do what they have to in order to improve their chances, but I just hope that they are doing it fairly.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.7.56.33

Old Post 11-11-13 06:17PM
Hunttheherdbull
Harvey Hacksmasher

Congrats to Team Morris good luck at the trials.

I do think thou a person should be a resident of a province in order to play in playdowns.

Old Post 11-11-13 09:16PM
Hunttheherdbull is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hunttheherdbull Click here to Send Hunttheherdbull a Private Message Find more posts by Hunttheherdbull Add Hunttheherdbull to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

This just proves how bad things have gotten in BC and how two-faced curlers can be. Twenty years ago a con artist pulled the same stunt with Ed Lukowich and Randy Ferbey. Merv Bodnarchuk never got to a Brier and ultimately went to jail for defrauding millions of dollars-mostly from curlers.

So now, almost two decades later, nothing has changed but the names (with the exception of Pat Ryan that is). We have a team with an individual residing, working and paying taxes in Alberta. Yet our governing body, to whom we and our clubs pay dues, turns a blind eye and doesn't protect its members in a blind lust for a Brier win.

With leadership like this, can anyone truly wonder why the sport is dying in BC?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.180

Old Post 11-11-13 10:17PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
This just proves how bad things have gotten in BC and how two-faced curlers can be. Twenty years ago a con artist pulled the same stunt with Ed Lukowich and Randy Ferbey. Merv Bodnarchuk never got to a Brier and ultimately went to jail for defrauding millions of dollars-mostly from curlers.

So now, almost two decades later, nothing has changed but the names (with the exception of Pat Ryan that is). We have a team with an individual residing, working and paying taxes in Alberta. Yet our governing body, to whom we and our clubs pay dues, turns a blind eye and doesn't protect its members in a blind lust for a Brier win.

With leadership like this, can anyone truly wonder why the sport is dying in BC?

Oh my, you can't be serious.

Last edited by Stoner on 11-11-13 at 10:50PM

Old Post 11-11-13 10:44PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SmokeyJoe
Hitting Paint

Couple of issues here:

One is path to the Olympics
and the other is path to the Brier

Seems like the two are interrelated and intertwined.

It makes sense for the path to the Olympics to not be based on geographical constraints.

And yet, the Bier has long had a tradition of geographical representation.

It will be interesting to see how this dichotomy is sorted out.

Old Post 11-11-13 10:54PM
SmokeyJoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SmokeyJoe Find more posts by SmokeyJoe Add SmokeyJoe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe
Couple of issues here:

One is path to the Olympics
and the other is path to the Brier

Seems like the two are interrelated and intertwined.

It makes sense for the path to the Olympics to not be based on geographical constraints.

And yet, the Bier has long had a tradition of geographical representation.

It will be interesting to see how this dichotomy is sorted out.

This.

It seems people are getting the Olympic trials confused with the Brier, which aren't the same thing, which means that Morris can play on/with that team, just like Howard did with Gushue a few years back.

Old Post 11-11-13 11:22PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SmokeyJoe
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner

This.

It seems people are getting the Olympic trials confused with the Brier, which aren't the same thing, which means that Morris can play on/with that team, just like Howard did with Gushue a few years back.

Partially agree

The road to the Olympics depends on the Canada Cup and CTRS points.

And yet, to secure a position in the Olympics, the winner of the Brier must secure a high position in the Worlds. Not a problem for Canadian teams - but something to consider.

Old Post 11-11-13 11:41PM
SmokeyJoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SmokeyJoe Find more posts by SmokeyJoe Add SmokeyJoe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

Just so you know... the CCA formalized the residency requirements the past summer. So, based on those requirements, Morris is eligible to play out of BC.

Here's the policy (I had asked because I was looking at curling in a province other than where I lived, due to work commitments):

POLICY – Residency Requirements to Compete in a National Championship

All national curling championships involve the participation of teams that are made up of individuals who are full time residents within the geographic area of each Member Association. To ensure that all individuals are treated equally a policy has been agreed to that clearly outlines what an individual must be able to provide to be considered a resident for playdown purposes.

It is understood that an individual can only participate in one province/territory in any championship season. (Explanation – an individual may only participate in the playdown process in one Member Association in one championship year – this includes all championships that lead to a Season of Champions event as well as other provincial championships that may or may not lead to a national event. These would include Masters, Juveniles, The Dominion Club Championship, etc. It is understood that the Canadian Mixed, held in November, will be part of the previous year’s group of competitions even though it is dated in the following year. For example – the 2011 Canadian Mixed held in November of 2010 will be considered a part of the 2009/10 Championship season for residency purposes.)

To that end it has been agreed that an individual must provide a minimum of three of the following five items to the Member Association (if requested) whose playdown structure they wish to enter:

** Current Drivers License from that province/territory
** Current Health Care Card from that province/territory
** Letter from employer confirming employment within the province/territory
** Statement from landlord (if renting) or bank (if owned) confirming residency within the province/territory – a copy of a property tax invoice/payment for non-mortgaged property is also adequate
** Valid picture ID required for travel purposes if the individual does not have a valid driver’s license

Traditional on-campus full time students will be allowed to establish residency by providing a confirmation letter from their school’s Registrar’s Office confirming full time status and class enrollment for the academic year. This policy defers to the institution which the student attends in terms of defining full-time student status.

The individual will also provide a signed waiver if requested that will agree to a one year suspension from any CCA sanctioned championship OR championships coordinated by Member Associations (The Dominion, Masters and Juveniles) in the event it is discovered that any information has been provided in a fraudulent manner.

For Canadian Men’s and Canadian Women’s Championships, individuals MUST be a permanent resident of the province/territory in which they wish to enter playdowns prior to September 1st of the year preceding the championship season. (For example – Sept 1st of 2010 for the 2010/11 championship season) This time frame may be shortened in the following circumstances:
• Transfer due to employment
• School attendance
• Military service and transfer

Exemptions may be made in exceptional circumstances if granted by two Member Associations where:
 Individuals live within a short distance of a provincial/territorial boundary
 An individual is based in two cities due to an employment situation
 Part-time students
(Exemption requests MUST be filed a minimum of 21 days prior to the Member Association’s competition entry deadline)

For events other than the Canadian Men’s or Canadian Women’s, you are required to be a Canadian citizen; however, there may be unique circumstances that allow you to be residing outside of Canada and still be eligible to compete. These will be approved by the respective Member Association (for example – Point Roberts residents may be eligible to compete in BC events leading to Canadian Juvenile, Master and Dominion competitions if granted an exemption by Curl BC)
In the event an exemption is requested and cannot be agreed to by the respective Member Associations, a committee that includes the following three individuals will make a decision and their ruling will become final:

 Chief Executive Officer of the CCA
 Director, High Performance of the CCA
 One neutral member from the ED Council Executive

Old Post 11-11-13 11:43PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

A drivers license and a health care card can be acquired under false pretenses. Likewise a letter of employment can come from a sympathetic and cooperative friend willing to pose as employer. Paying rent for an empty apartment or basement suite is an easy trick as well.

The real test is where you are registered for federal income tax purposes as it also dictates your provincial, or territorial taxes.

Yes, a valid argument can be made for fringe geographical areas of the country and those should be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Otherwise, curlers in all areas of the country deserve to have their right to compete for their provincial/territorial championship protected.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.205

Old Post 11-12-13 12:42AM
alex
Hitting Paint

I don't see how Morris can play with Cotter in BC playdowns unless he has a stronger connection to BC than we know at present. It could be interesting at Brier if people think the team shouldn't be representing BC. Hard to see that happening thought with Cotter having strong Kamloops roots. In any event good luck to them at Trials.

Old Post 11-12-13 01:39AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by alex
I don't see how Morris can play with Cotter in BC playdowns unless he has a stronger connection to BC than we know at present. It could be interesting at Brier if people think the team shouldn't be representing BC. Hard to see that happening thought with Cotter having strong Kamloops roots. In any event good luck to them at Trials.

Hello, did you not read justanotherhack's post, it says that Morris can now play for team BC in the provincials, besides, the trials haven't even happened yet, if Morris wins the trials he won't be playing the Brier.

Old Post 11-12-13 02:45AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner

Hello, did you not read justanotherhack's post, it says that Morris can now play for team BC in the provincials, besides, the trials haven't even happened yet, if Morris wins the trials he won't be playing the Brier.

The post doesn't say that. It lays out the CCA's eligibility requirements that any curler must meet if called upon to do so. The question is how legitimate those efforts to meet them are.

Personally, the trials are a separate entity from the Brier since the CCA has turned a blind eye to teams dumping players after reaching the pre-trials or the RTR. It's just shown us which curlers have no honor or respect for their teammates and their efforts.

But the Brier is another case. There is tradition, respect and honour involved. Those are some of the facets which still make it the biggest event in curling. And why it will always out draw any Grand Slam event.

So Morris can curl with Cotter in any spiel he wants and I wish them the best of luck at the Roar. But with all due respect, unless he is truly, honestly living in BC he should not play in playdowns. I think they know this and should they not win the trials, we will see the return of Jason Gunnlaugson.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.144

Old Post 11-12-13 10:31AM
Unregistered

Say what you will, but in the near future it looks like John Morris will very likely join is father, Earle (and Ryan Fry) as the only curlers to represent 3 provinces at a Brier.

Personally, I'll be more interested to see if John stays in Alberta. As a disclaimer, I do not know John whatsoever, and have zero authority on the subject. But it seems to me that if he's serious about the NEXT Olympic cycle with the Cotter team, he would want to move to BC to be with the rest of the team. And I imagine Cotter and the rest of the boys (who I also do not know) would have had this discussion, and likely have a future plan in place.

If he does move to BC, does it make the situation more acceptable? I would say yes. But I am also fine their current situation (although I question it's long-term sustainability). It's an interesting arrangement, but they certainly aren't the first team to do it, and you can't blame them if they get the OK to do so.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.81.54.22

Old Post 11-12-13 10:49AM
Unregistered

Morris loves the limelight - he will be skipping for real next year .. thou he wasnt that great when Kevin was out of commish

I think he probably peaked in 2010

Old Post 11-12-13 12:13PM
jcullen
Hitting Paint

John and Curl BC have already confirmed that John is playing out of BC this season. That's just a fact.

Now, whether he drops out due to success at the Trials/some other extenuating circumstance remains to be seen, but he has Curl BC's permission to play out of BC this season.

Old Post 11-12-13 01:52PM
jcullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jcullen Click here to Send jcullen a Private Message Find more posts by jcullen Add jcullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:

What is this part-time employment that CurlBC deemed as sufficient grounds for eligibility?

Old Post 11-12-13 03:01PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

standby fireman for team cotter - was able to put Jason out ...

Old Post 11-12-13 03:28PM
Unregistered

I personally know of a curler that was able to play out of a different province as the family owned a cottage in the other province. I don't like it but as you can see it is done. All associations need to have firm guidelines. Its very easy to get a drivers licence changed. I agree tax records should be used. Perhaps the Senate can give them some ideas :-)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 74.114.172.1

Old Post 11-12-13 03:30PM
Benton
Knee-Slider

I don't see the issue here. I just want to see good curling, and if %25 of a team is from another Provence, who cares.

Old Post 11-12-13 06:43PM
Benton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Benton Click here to Send Benton a Private Message Find more posts by Benton Add Benton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

You'd care if you were playing and it happened in your province. Obviously you're neither of the above.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.245

Old Post 11-12-13 08:14PM